Sign in to follow this  
Starlingt

Quality Maintenance Service

We have been full timing for about 3 years. As we travel around the country, we have trouble finding quality maintenance service for our Motorhome. Someone suggested using Camping World for service as they have locations everywhere. We would like to hear others experiences with CW service. What are some alternatives? Thanks.

If your in the Cincinnati, OH area I recommend Southwest RV Service, in Fairfield. That's where I take mine for service, I find them to do great service on my RV and they're honest and reasonably priced.

Starlingt,

Finding good maintenance generally depends on the problem and with all the different systems built into today's coaches. There is not a one stop shop that covers everything and not all repair and maintenance centers are created equal.

Posting a problem on the forum in one of the threads that closely matches your current problem or concern often generates a number of thoughts.

With the number of members of FMCA being active on this sight and the geographical area they come from, one has a good chance of finding a location they would trust with the maintenance of there coach.

There will be different thoughts as some locations are more familiar with some brands then others.

Always ask other coach owners where they get items repaired and you might get a call some day from one of those owners asking you the same question, because they a travailing through your home area.

I have always been a strong be-leaver in networking !!

Rich.

Are you looking for chassis maintenance or house?

You don't indicate what your chassis is but if its Freightliner, I would recommend planing your travels to be near Gaffney, SC once a year. They can do everything including the generator, transmission, engine, alignment,etc.

If its the house side, one CW may be great and the next one terrible. Like Rich alluded to, when you're in a particular area, post on the forum where you are and ask for referrals.

After ten years full time and four years since, I have found that shops that were quite good and dependable several years ago are not as worthy of praise now. A change in ownership or loss of a key tech can make a world of difference in your repair experience. As an example, several years ago I made recommendations for Iron Horse RV in San Antonio. I had several very good experiences there but my most recent was miserable. The owner was on vacation and the rats were at play. I'm not sure if I'll ever return there. If I do, I'll certainly check to make sure that Darryl, the owner, is on the job.

I've been to Goodyear Wingfoot shops with tire techs who really know their stuff and do an excellent job and then I've encountered several others where I was the instructor and they were, well, resistant to learning! If a key supervisor or tech leaves, the whole shop can devolve into laziness and carelessness.

Another shop that did a big repair for me two years ago couldn't handle ordering Carefree of Colorado replacement awning fabric. It took almost two months before I got that order straightened out. The shop manager from the first job has retired and his assistant took over.

Yeah, I've been burned, recently!

Often the availability of quaility service is a function of the coach you own. The best source for service information is often fellow owners of your coach brand. If you are fortunate enough to have a brand that, either through the manufacturer or other owners, maintains a Yahoo or Google or Facebook group for technical and maintenance issues, you can find excellent information there.

In addition, look at the online review sites quoted ion other responses to your question. The experience of others is often the best indicator of service quality.

Remember that service facilities are definitely not created equal! Nor are individual techs created equal.

Dave Rypma

2006 Alfa Gold #4078

When you get a recommendation for RV service and places to eat always ask how long it has been since the person was there. As Tom said, what was great 5 yeas ago may have gone to the dogs now. Once I was taking some friends out to eat at a place that was great the last time I was there. When we got there it was now a gas station. As the ole saying goes "time changes everything".

Herman

Thanks for all the replies. That is lot of great information. I will definitely check out the web site rvservicereviews Thanks to all of you.