RTinVa

Advice: Base Plates, Brake Systems & Tow Bars

I am currently driving a Fleetwood 38b 360hp diesel pusher. My wife and I usually tow the 2010 TSX on our Kar Kaddy SS. I recently bought a 2015 Ram Laramie Crew Cab short bed 4x4 and would like to tow 4 down but have no experience with this type of towing. Although I have enjoyed the dolly experience and have no complaints I am anxious to have the option of bringing the truck on long trips.

Please provide your recommendations for equipment based on experience. I do not want to buy one then wish I had bought another. It appears the total cost will be a estimated 3k not including installation.

Thank you in advance for any advice, experiences and recommendations.

Either Blue Ox or Roadmaster provide excellent products. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one of them. I use the Roadmaster set up and have been quite pleased.

My only question is about the WEIGHT of the new truck and your coach's towing capacity AND GCWR.

Agree on the two manufacturers-- both with quality products. We have towed with Roadmaster gear (tow bar, brackets and brake) for the last three toads and 200,000+ miles. No problems.

My only question is about the WEIGHT of the new truck and your coach's towing capacity AND GCWR.

Agree on the two manufacturers-- both with quality products. We have towed with Roadmaster gear (tow bar, brackets and brake) for the last three toads and 200,000+ miles. No problems.

Wolfe10,

42,400 on the GCWR and within the specs on towing capacity. The Fleetwood has the coach listed as 32,400 GVWR. Based on the numbers I am not seeing any concerns. The truck comes in at 5250 curb weight. I see Roadmaster or Blue Ox are recommended often. Thank you for your recommendations and if I am missing something please correct me.

I use the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain for My Jeep Liberty diesel at 4500 lbs. Its rated for 6000 lbs but that seem to be close to your weight limit.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/falconat.html

The next more stronger one rated at 10,000 lbs would be better.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/blackhawk2.html

I use the portable braking system because my Jeep is a 2006 so it may not last too much longer.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/even_brake.html

Since what you have is new this will be less hassle once installed.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/invisibrake/index.html

Since your vehicle is new, you may want to protect it. I use this and it is easy to install and remove.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/protection_storage/protect_store.html

For brakes, I use the SMI Stay-in-Play Duo on my toad (07 Cadillac CTS). The AirForce One also gets top reviews. I like the SMI Stay-in-Play Duo because it's easy to use. Install once and it's just a matter of flipping a switch to on and it's ready to go -- no box in front seat floorboard, no attachment to brake pedal to set up and take down....just a really nice unit.

Hi Rich.

I towed a 07', 2500 Chevy Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab, with a 10,000# Blue Ox. Bought it and had it installed, with a brake master, at CW for $ 2396 in 08'. After about, 4 months and towing 3 times, I got a Jeep Wrangler for toad. Back then I felt like the "tail was wagging the dog"!

Good luck!

InvisiBrake and Roadmaster 6000#! I'm currently having a Lexan box being built to hold brake in a water and dust proof environment.

Carl

We use a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and the Brakemaster air-driven brake from Roadmaster. Previously had a Roadmaster tow bar and that was good too.

I suggest the one of the top end models of tow bar from either company - those are much more convenient than the basic A-frame types. More expensive, of course, but worth it IMO.

Roadmaster and Blue Ox are both good, I have always used Roadmaster until recently, when I need to go to a 10,000 lb tow bar the Roadmaster Blackhawk 10,000 will cost $950+ but you can get a Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 10,000 tow bar new on EBay for $629 including 10,000 cables ( I paid $575 last year) you will have to buy the Roadmaster ends if you go with the Roadmaster Brackets.

I also use Roadmaster Brakemaster toad brake sys, it uses the coach air to mash the toad brakes, I used a 48 inch LED light strip (Ebay) Attached to the bottom lip of my tail gate of my F150 for my toad brakes, that way the turn signals won't be covered by my toad brake lights when my brake sys mashes my toad brakes.