Sign in to follow this  
Cats1323

Alaskan Highway Conditions

Question

10 answers to this question

Absolutely!! Even with the best protection, you will not escape some damage. Lower your deductible on both rigs. After saying all that, I have to say that it is worth it and you really will need your toad with you to do it right.

Once you get to the Yukon territory the roads are very bad. So many roads are torned up, chipped sealed and permafrost damaged. Go slow, go very slow. Once in Alaska the roads are better south of Fairbanks. Best to go there in the summer. Alaska has two seasons, 9 months winter and 3 months construction season.

When we were there I traveled at 30 to 35 mph on a lot of the roads. We did not suffer any damage. When we would see a construction truck coming our way I would angle to the shoulder at about 35 degrees and stop. Those truck were probably going 75 mph or better spraying gravel all over.

Stay away from The Highest Road in the World and the settlement named Chicken Alaska. There are only two roads to and from that small town; both are gravel and you will not believe how fast those tractor-trailers rigs are traveling and they do not slow down at all. There is nothing worthwhile to see when you arrive.

Our 2012 Caravan of 2.5 months from start to finish was approximately 5k miles towing the toad all the way. As a minimum we suggest a Fiberglass Shield affixed to your tow bar to protect your toad and some type of padded cover across the front of the windshield. We had neither on our Unit.

As a result of not being told in plain language to install protective devices, our 2008 Limited Ford Edge sustained damage that cost $11,140.00 to repair. Headlights, grille, driving lights, hood, windshield, front lower fairings, etc.,all had to be replaced. The Edge received a complete paint job, excluding the trunk lid.

The Border Crossing inspection into Canada from the U.S. and back was very thorough. No firearms.

Loved it all, especially the Eagles, scenery, wild animals and the cool weather. Stay on the Alcan Highway and watch for the Frost breaks or the front wheels of your coach may go "airborne". "Many Stripes"

We traveled with a small group last year with a lead guide that has made the trip several times in the past and was assured that the roads were better there than in the lower 48. Well I'm here to tell you that's not true at all.

I had the front fiberglass protection as well as a windshield cover. You cannot imagine how much damage we incurred from all the gravel and stones that found there way into places you wouldn't think possible.

To make matters worse the Cummins diesel engine in our coach was destroyed do to what is labeled dusting, caused by the air cleaner collapsed from all the dirt from the construction. Mind you this this air cleaner was new just prior to departure.

After being stranded in WhitehorseYT for almost a month waiting for the new engine we were given a lot of advise to pass on to those going through to fly to Whitehorse and rent an RV then return home and save yourself about $30k.

While we were there, we met a lot of folks from around the country in similar circumstances. The Parker Kenworth dealer informed me they have on average 30 major break downs per season.

At the least take an extra air filter and replace it before returning toward home. We were on our way back when all this happened. Also be advised that you will have stone chip behind the front and rear tires of you coach. The total experience was not worth it.

To do over I wouldn't go beyond Jasper then go to Alaska on a cruise. They take you to all the nice places you will want to see.
That's my $30,000 worth!

Thinking about flying to Alaska and renting an RV as you suggested in your post. You mentioned Whitehorse, AK. Any other areas to rent a RV from?

Went to AK and western Alberta 2 summers ago with a caravan tour from Fantasy Tours - money and time well spent !! Top of the World Hwy is something to experience - as others have noted, go slow!! Be careful and make sure your co-pilot is there to assist when needed - we had a full cover for the Saturn - windshield to bottom of grill - sure, it was a PITA to secure at times but not ONE scratch on the Saturn after 60 days in AK and Canada - make sure your coach mud flaps are fully deployed as that will help - take your time and enjoy one of the greatest sites you will ever see in the USA !!!