BearAndMoon

Cat 330 HP Air Filter

I was chatting with a fellow Newmar Dutch Star owner the other day and he was lamenting about his air filter. He prides himself on the fact hat he does all of his coach maintenance, from end to end, rightfully so in my opinion.

I drove a truck for years, and did as much of the work on it as I could. It gave me an intimate knowledge of my rig, quite often I'd spot what could have been a work stopping problem, before it got that far.

My new friend also drove for a living. He also did much of his own work on his rig, so when he told me it takes about three hours, just to change the air filter on these rigs, I was stunned..

Three hours? Really?

There has got to be a faster and easier way of changing it...

I've done much of the work on our home, however I have yet to need to change the now dreaded filter. I don't know if I have the patience....

If this is the case, I'm wondering if there's an after-market work around to cut the time involved.....

Brad,

The chassis maker specs and installs the air filter, not engine maker. Then the coach builder builds a "house" over it. In many cases, the coach builder and chassis builder did not put servicing as a high priority. One of the things to look at when buying a coach-- whether you do your own work, or, even more importantly if you are paying for someone else to do it.

Another example is a valve adjustment. The actual adjustment takes around 1 hour. But, depending on coach, it can take 4 times that long just to get down to the valve cover and remove it.

Different issue for this thread, but still on Newmar Dutch Star, Cat 400, Allison 4000.

My previous coach (Monaco) with the Allison had a fast idle built into the shift pad.

Thought I had it on the Newmar, but looking over the Allison 4000 manual, it does not show the ability to increase idle speed. Am I missing some simple thing?

Different issue for this thread, but still on Newmar Dutch Star, Cat 400, Allison 4000.

My previous coach (Monaco) with the Allison had a fast idle built into the shift pad.

Thought I had it on the Newmar, but looking over the Allison 4000 manual, it does not show the ability to increase idle speed. Am I missing some simple thing?

That feature is often built into the cruise control. Check your cruise control manual/owners manual section.

Changing it wasn't the worse part, digesting $166.00 was. although it did take me almost 1/2 hour and some tricky maneuvers to get it out.

post-39881-0-22219500-1433156874_thumb.j

Changing it wasn't the worse part, digesting $166.00 was. although it did take me almost 1/2 hour and some tricky maneuvers to get it out.

What was the $166.00 for?

Try Filter Barn and see if they have a better price.

Bill

I am seeing a lot of good posts on this thread, and would also like to slightly venture on the topic. I have been trying to determine were the air filter goes on my Cat 250 HP C7 engine (2006 Damon Tuscany). Can anyone advice if it is from underneath the coach, or through the hatch in the bedroom? Thanks for any help.

daveandpete,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Very likely from underneath. Your chassis maker fit it (likely Freightliner, and then Damon built the house on top of it, so there is no "here is how they are all done".

Very likely you have an air intake on the side of the coach, near the back and below the beltline. That leads directly to the air filter.

I am seeing a lot of good posts on this thread, and would also like to slightly venture on the topic. I have been trying to determine were the air filter goes on my Cat 250 HP C7 engine (2006 Damon Tuscany). Can anyone advice if it is from underneath the coach, or through the hatch in the bedroom? Thanks for any help.

I have a 2007 Damon Tuscany with the 350 HP Cat and my air filter is accessed from the Driver's side rear bay (Note: the shore power cable is in this bay). There is a cover on the rear wall of this bay, which when removed exposes the air filter canister. Then it's a matter of removing the canister and replacing the air filter.

Thanks for the information dd5087. I have heard of this previously, but I think maybe Damon wised up in '07. The '06 compartment (couldn't upload my picture :( ) doesn't have any visible openings, and houses a number of fuses. The panel is clearly sealed. Will leave it to the mechanic. I also hear that jacking up the rear tires and getting underneath accesses the canister. Might explain why the total cost of replacement is usually double the air filter cost alone. Thanks all for the feedback. Great as always.

What was the $166.00 for?

$166.00 was for the filter, I bought the last one on-line and it was a OEM Fleetguard. Hopefully it lasts a few years. Just might if I stay out of campgrounds with unpaved roads (different post). :)

I was able to locate a Donaldson and a Wix replacement since for $50.00 less not sure of the quality, the unit is sealed into that metal canister pictured above.

Take your filter part number to NASCO. The International House that does the PM on my Coach told me he couldn't find the P/N for my filter. I found it my Information Box. He took the number, called NASCO who crossed referenced to number for Inter. Dealer. NASCO Also said they had 3 in stock. The International Part Man said he could get it but would take 10 to 12 days. So I told him I would go to NASCO, and he said lets keep them honest and that his price was $109.00.

Went to NASCO with P/N and they pulled it up and said the price would be $195.00. Said thanks but Inter. was 109 and I would go have them order one. Parts man said, "let see what I can do". He then quoted me $86.00. he knocked off the price for the one from Intern. And when he brought it out the box had more dust on it then Noah's Arc. I will bet you that he still has the other 2 in stock.

Herman

Herman, does your coach take the same filter as mine....same year, engine and manufacture, different model, just curious?

I bought mine from Ryder on line parts sales then. At the time all I could find was a K&N kit to remove the existing filter guts and replace with theirs which was'nt going to happen under any circumstance. Ryder had one in stock then, I have since found other options.

At the time I needed one bad, I just had purchased the unit "turn key ready to go" on the 1st trip the filter indicator pulled into the red.

post-39881-0-96089700-1433962259_thumb.j

I was able to locate a Donaldson and a Wix replacement since for $50.00 less not sure of the quality, the unit is sealed into that metal canister pictured above.

Both Wix and Donaldson are also quality filters. No problem there.

Joe,

The air filter on our 2002 Dynasty 400HP is a Donaldson P53744802 (MP2329). The story I told was on our 1998 Monaco Windsor 300 HP. The number I listed is the filter for our 400HP but I think it is the same filter as the 98.

Herman

Herman thanks, I was just curious to see if they carry any parts over from one model to another to save on cost and engineering, I guess not.

Thanks Brett, next go round I will most likely install a Donaldson to save the money.

Ours is a Fleetguard AH8503 or Donaldson P537448

My 07 Damon Tuscany is accessed by crawling up thru the area behind the drivers side rear tires. Not an easy task so I let Freightliner do it. $96 for filter and $115 labor