obedb

Caterpillar Serpentine Belt

Yes, in THEORY, you want to back flush the dirt-- i.e. clean from the back.

In REALITY, if you used enough PSI to get through the radiator (rear most component of the cooling package), through the air gap and then through the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) with enough force to blow the crud off the FRONT of the CAC where the vast majority of the dirt is "filtered out", you would bend most of the fins on the radiator.

So, you clean the front of the CAC from the FRONT (i.e. bedroom or closet). Best cleaner is garden hose with garden nozzle and Simple Green EXTREME. Extreme was developed for degreasing aluminum aircraft. You need a degreaser that will not harm the aluminum!

Come to the Caterpillar Maintenance Seminar in Madison-- we will talk about this.

OH, and to see if your CAC needs to be cleaned, from the front (i.e. bedroom), shine a strong flashlight between fan blades/inside fan shroud. Verify that the lower perimeter is as clean as the center (the blades "sling" the dirt to the perimeter, particularly lower perimeter). Long before air flow is blocked enough to overheat the coolant, your engine intake manifold temperatures will rise, as there is insufficient cooling in the CAC. You will be loosing HP, MPG and certainly not helping engine life.

Good advice. When I have treated the CAC with suggested cleaner, am I supposed to try to wash downward or through the cooler into the gap before radiator? Just using garden hose pressure?

Yes, just garden hose pressure-- no chance of destroying anything.

And, you will flush the radiator from the rear, but the vast majority of the "gunk" will be on the front of the CAC.

This is actually a two person/one beer job. One person does the work, the other sits in a lounge chair behind the coach and says "still dirty" or "wow you are not flushing out any more dirt". If you pay two beers, you have overpaid. PM if you need the "other person"-- we are here to help!

Brett, if your going to do the CAC cleaning in Madison, I might even supply the cold ones and act as the super on the job.

You know you always need one and I never know what is going on anyway, that is way I'm always smiling. :)

Rich.

Rich,

Wait, wait. You have the roles reversed. I volunteer for the "supervisory" role.

Have cleaned enough cooling systems as the "doer". Hope to graduate to supervisory role.

Brett, great advice. FYI Simple Green Extreme can be found at Home Depot, Amazon, Pep Boys and Sears (i just did a quick web search).

Oh yea, Brett good luck with you new career :)

Local Home Depot did not have it. On line store delivery is by the case in gallons. I ordered a gallon on Amazon for $17 and change. The reviews tell me that I will want to keep this cleaner closeby for other uses. Do I use it full strength? If diluted/ what ratio? Extreme Simple Green. Thinking about a 1 gallon sprayer for application. Would give a little more reach. Thanks in advance.

I worked my way back in the engine section to May 19, 2009. Brett started a thread on CAC and radiator cleaning. There were two interesting pages of replies.

As indicated on an earlier post the nearby Rv repair business that I took our coach to for the annually mandated state inspection turned out to be a surprise. The person I met first started talking about taking the radiator out to change the engine belts. He must not have been an example of the employees there. The owner estimated 2 to 3 hours labor plus belt cost. I was prepared for three or more labor hours after being softened up some. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I paid the bill. The two belts were $87.13 and two hours labor at $92 per. I was very happy with that. One less thing for my old frame to have to deal with.

If I had not paid attention to all of the info available on this site I would not have been as informed as I now am. I still have a lot to learn, but I have discovered that owning a diesel pusher is not for the faint of heart. Lots of good advice here and especially Brett's. The cleaning of the CAC and radiator is next. Maybe a week out.

If you need help in York county PA , John's RV Repair in Jacobus is worth a call. They have a large chain link fenced in yard and perish the thought, lodging is close by. If you were ever to need a tow Gordon's Towing in Stewartstown Pa is very reasonable in cost and experienced. All long time employees, and they have treated me well over the years. They won't grumble about dropping the driveshaft. Hope you don't need either of them but just in case. Both businesses are on the net.

I have a Country coach with a c13 530 engine. I installed a new Delco Remy Si40 320 amp alternator. I am now reinstalling the belt, but can not get the belt over the  spring loaded pulley.

10 hours ago, cubflyer said:

I have a Country coach with a c13 530 engine. I installed a new Delco Remy Si40 320 amp alternator. I am now reinstalling the belt, but can not get the belt over the  spring loaded pulley.

A few things come to mind?

is the alternator larger that is moved farther away?

is the pilot larger or was you old one transferred over?

is the belt routed properly?

is this a New belt or you old.belt?