tireman9

Dometic Roof A/C Shroud Cracked

Discovered some cracks in the external cover / shroud of the roof AC unit. These are 1" to 4" long and run from the screw holes.

If I could learn the type of plastic used I feel I could repair the cover rather than spending the $150 - $200+ on a new shroud. Some plastics are relatively easy to repair while others take special adhesives.

Have contacted Dometic and asked the question (PVC, ABS, PP, HDPE etc) but so far no answer.

Roger,

A common problem. And there are several potential solutions.

Probably the easiest is to use some good quality aluminum tape (used for home HVAC ducts) on the inside of the shroud as reinforcement. Then use stainless steel fender washers under the screws to spread the load. I use a piece of Eternabond between washer and shroud to both give a little more adhesion and to more evenly spread the load (the washers are not always exactly parallel to the shroud.

Tireman9,

Did about the same as Brett except I used epoxy. I also added several new screws and fender washers for just a bit more security.

Brett, when you have your schedule, could you post the seminars you are giving in Madison and their times?

Herman

Herman,

Thursday, July 30 11:30 a.m. Ask The Experts: Seminar 1 (Gary Bunzer, Walter Cannon and I all are on the panel)

Thursday, July 30 1:15 p.m. Suspensions-- Coach Ride & Handling: Seminar 7

Friday, July 31 1:30 p.m. Caterpillar/Diesel Engine Maintenance Seminar: Seminar 7

Note: 90% of this seminar applies to all diesel engines, irrespective of brand.

I did the bondo fiberglass mat and put washers in the glass, just drilled them out after it dried. This unit I bought new covers, $92.00 each