rwitt

Cummins ISL 400hp -Losing Power On Uphill

Bill,

I do not believe so. Would require a sender unit mounted in the exhaust.

But., with a stock engine, EGT is not going to be an issue. Now, if you have "tuned it" (read added more fuel), EGT is certainly something you need to monitor.

I have heard that "with a stock engine, EGT is not going to be an issue" from several people, so on the last trip I set my tuner to 1 which is the stock tune from Cummins. Running in the hills in eastern Tennessee I was seeing quite high temps up to 1400 degrees briefly. That is warmer than I like. I have a warning buzzer set at 1375 in case I don't notice temps climbing.

I have a Banks IQ and am running a Banks Economind diesel tuner with their pyrometer to monitor exhaust temps.

I think if you don't have a good pyrometer to monitor exhaust temps you are probably running hotter than you think.

Bill

It's tough to put your head around having to manually shift an automatic when pulling a hill, but it is a reality for the coach to perform properly. One thought to keep in mind let the engine/turbo cool (idle for 5-12 minutes) after pulling a hill before shutting it down, high EGT's with an engine shut off is not good for anything. Someday I will install a pyrometer on this coach, I have replaced to many turbos that failed due to driver execution long before their time.