Deborahheinz

I 81 In Virginia

Question

Can anyone tell me the elevation along 81 in Virginia?

I have never enjoyed driving mountainous roads with my gas motorhome and pulling a tow car.

Any information on this roadway would be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

deborahheinz,

There are no real high points on I-80. The highest point might be 2800ft.
There are hills, but nothing very high. Some long grades, but nothing real steep.

The climb up Rt-77 from the intersection of Rt-40 is a long climb at about 5 to 6 percent grade and goes for nearly 30 to 40 miles and will exceed the elevation of RT-81.

Rt-95 Will have a lot more traffic and nowhere near as nice a drive.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the reply! Without my copilot (I am a widow), I am much more cautious with my route selections. I have wonderful memories of trips to the Rockies but now I select less ambitious routes and trips. Thank again!

I'm a widow also. Found that with time, I went back to my normal way of traveling. I have had some white knuckle drives, but figured that if a 18 wheeler could do it, so could I.

Still a big country out there, go slow and enjoy the scenery! I don't know if FMCA advocates this anymore, but it used to be that if we had more than 3- 5 vehicles behind us on a one lane road, find a place to pull over and let them pass (safety first)! I still do.

Good Luck....

Carl

deborahheintz,

We run I-81 a lot from TN to PA and back, these hills are not bad. I believe the highest elevation is around 1600 feet, but it is a very gradual climb in stages, to the point you really do not realize how high you are. I get pretty good mileage from our DP on that road so it can't be too bad.

If you head that way I would not run I-77 in Virginia (the North Carolina side is nice) which connects to 81. I-77 has steep climbs and drops winding turns and cliffs, we just ran I-77 this last weekend for the first time in my wife's Ford Explorer and it labored a bit harder than I expected.

Good luck and safe travels.

If your rv has no overheating problems I-77 will be OK. Best to run in the early hours after daylight in a gas powered unit pulling a car. Keeps the outside temp down helping the radiator. I-81 north from the I-77 intersection has a couple of grades to pull, but not as steep as 77. Now I say this with many years driving an 18 wheeler under my belt. As has been mentioned, I-81 is a nicer ride than 95 and more scenic. Safe Travels.