rfsod48

Routing / Trip Planning

Question

I would like recommendations for a routing / trip planning app.

I have copilot and do not care for it.

I also have an FMCA atlas but would also like something for my iPad.

Thanks for the help!

6 answers to this question

I don't think there is any one thing or program that encompasses all the aspects of trip planning. Many of the GPS Points of interest just don't have all the data, so different approaches to trip planning may be necessary.

For me, the first thing I do is go is Google where I'm at. This typically brings up a Google map. Once the map is up I then put in "RV Parks" without the quotes inside the Google search line. The map will be populated with RV parks, but even this method is not all inclusive. Slide the map in any direction and the new direction wil pop-up RV Parks. It will provide a good idea of the RV parks in the area. I then look at the parks in the area and use RV Park Reviews to get an idea of how others think of the park, knowing that my likes and dislikes are different from others. I try to find if there are any discounts and plan appropriately.

Unfortunately the web site designers now populate their "META" data with keywords or associated keywords so you may see a motel/hotel pop up when you search for RV Parks. Also try other keywords like "campground" etc.

edited: p.s., with Google Maps, and even other mapping programs, you can use that same techique for finding restaurants, even specific type of restaurants, like Mexican, Italian, German, etc., or try Zoo and see what pops up. The worse you can get for searching on something you are trying to find is either the item, nothing, or a hodge podge of places. Try "Tourist Attractions" without the quotes, or "Tourist Info" for visitor centers. The possibilities are unlimited.

I am trying RV trip wizard and it seems to be the best I have tried so far. I think combining it with RM trip planner will do what I want.

My number one choice is "Allstays Camp & RV". This App has proven to be invaluable for us. Not only does it list RV Parks but also other helpful places like Walmarts, Low Clearances, Rest Areas, RV Businesses, Cracker Barrels, Bass Pro, Sam's Club, Truck Stops, Military Campgrounds, RV Dump Stations, etc. And many other listings.

When you select a Campground, a new "window" will open, there you will see phone number, website (if they have one), Reviews, Description of the Campground, GPS location, etc. You are also able to obtain directions via Apple Map or Google Map for the Campground.

Hi folks. I was wondering if any of these 'softwares' have a driving time calculator. For example: in Microsoft Streets and Trips, you type in your destination and some other parameters like driving speed, amount of time driving per day, etc, it will pinpoint where you should stop for the night. I suppose one could calculate this out, but that software was so easy. Any ideas?