Sign in to follow this  
ANHughes

Towing Capacity

Our 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder has a hitch rated for 10,000 lbs max. We want to pull a stacker trailer that will gross approximately 13,000 lbs with payload and have an approximate tongue weight of 800 lbs. I am curious how others have solved this problem. New hitch or is there a way to beef up the present hitch?

Be aware that the hitch is not always the limiting factor in towing capacity.

You will also need to look at GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) minus actual coach weight AND

Axle ratings. That 800 pound tongue weight will add well more than that to the rear axle/tag axle (and remove weight from the front axle).

At that point, there are still two issues:

1. The physical/mechanical.

2. The legal-- if involved in an accident with an illegally overweight vehicle....

As noted, the hitch is only part of the equation. You should also consider the GAWR, GVWR and the GCWR...as Brett noted. Some of the larger coaches have a 15k tow rating...that would solve your problem! :)

Allen,

What concerns me is if your unit fit within your GCWR and you have corrected the capacity with a better hitch, is the tongue weight. 800 lbs. is quite a lot. Is there a way to distribute the weight better on the trailer? I would be worrying about how the trailer would sway at the slightest change of the wind, road and movement. :o

Herman

Herman, I might be able to shift some weight in the trailer, but not dramatically since the trailer is a stacker trailer with two vehicles that are in fixed positions related to the tie down points.

Actually, 800 pounds on a 13,000 pounds trailer is lighter than the normally acceptable recommendation for best trailer tracking.

10-15% of total weight is the commonly recommended percent of total trailer weight.

Use an equalizer hitch to spread the load to the front after you deal with the other limiting factors

Concur with Brett above. 800 lbs. is too light of a tongue load for a 13,000 trailer. IMHO I wouldn't tow a trailer that my vehicle isn't rated for. Our coaches are engineered to perform within design specifications. Outside of those parameters could garner mechanical and safety parameters beyond just the legal aspect.