akadeadeye

Michelin XRVs versus Toyo Equivalent

I know there are some recent comments about availability on the XRV 305/70R/22.5 but I know nothing about Toyo and a dealer who handles both said I should try the Toyo since he couldn't find but 4 Michelins in our area. What about Toyo? Should I wait for the Michelins? I will not be replacing until Spring, but trying to plan ahead.

Don

I replaced Goodyear on my coach in 2012 with Toyo. We traveled that year from Lampasas, Texas to Alaska and back. Last year to northern New Mexico, Phoenix, AZ for the winter then back to Texas. This year we are currently in North Carolina having traveled 4700 miles since leaving Texas in May.

Overall we have put nearly 20,000 miles on the Toyos without a problem. I don't have a problem with the ride or noise as I did with the Goodyear tires.

I have been told that the Michelin would have a better ride but at the time I bought mine, the Michelins were about $1200 more even with the FMCA program.

One thing to consider when selecting a tire brand is the question of support service and product availability especially if you don't carry a spare.

One thing to consider when selecting a tire brand is the question of support service and product availability especially if you don't carry a spare.

Tireman9, In your experience, is Toyo as readily available as Michelin, or vice versa. I am having a hard time locating six XRV 305/70R/22.5 in my neck of the woods.

Don

Tireman9, In your experience, is Toyo as readily available as Michelin, or vice versa. I am having a hard time locating six XRV 305/70R/22.5 in my neck of the woods.

Don

Sorry Don but there is no way for me to know tire availability by size & brand. I will suggest that you look for nearest "truck" tire dealers and also do a Google search on the tire size to see what you find.

If the tire company has a dealer network I would consider that a plus for the brand over a tire company that has no brick & mortar stores anywhere in the US.

Toyos seem to be readily available and I use them as well as Michelins. They seem to be a little harder ride but not too bad.

I would be very careful on making assumptions of tire ride unless you have done back to back comparison with new tire vs new tire on the same roads. Having spent years trying to get "approval" on new cars of tires I was designing it is a highly specialized "art" and skill to have an educated butt that is sensative enought to feel the real differences between tires.