I have read with interest the various postings connected in any manner with my Topic Title.

I have never used a tow car protection device of any sort, but having just purchased a new 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, am giving it some thought.

The various postings aren't too favorable to the tow bar mounted shields, such as the Blue Ox Kargard or Kargard II. Some posters have described making their own, using various materials, which doesn't really appeal to me, either.

There was a favorable post on the tow car shield (best described as a bra covering the entire front-end and windshield) made by Coastline RV and Off Road in California. Does anyone else have experience or knowledge with this product, or any other products?

I have used the Roadmaster plastic rock shield for about 6 years. It does work well, but still some chips still do occur. I have the optional storage rack to hold the rock shield when I am not towing. I tried the web shield that lays flat over the tow bar and found that to be not very effective. A friend of mine has the bra and has had very good success. The only problem I see is that it is a large item to store when you are not towing.

I also used a front bra cover - covering the windshield, hood, fenders and front end - can't recall the mfg name - bought it used as it is vehicle specific - used it for our caravan tour in Can and AK 2 summers ago - worked very well !! No chips or broken glass, no chips from gravel roads - it does take 2 to mount correctly and does take some effort - especially in the rain - then must dry it out when removed -

Does take extra work but worth the effort !!

I was concerned when I started towing my new 2014 CR-V. I looked at several devises but haven't bought one. So far I don't see any damage that can be attributed to towing. I have had some dings but they happened when I wasn't towing.

Bill

I've used a bra from Coastline in the past BUT, if you don't want to scratch your paint, you should only apply it to a clean car because the dirt and grime will get into the car side of the cover and rub on the paint. It was too much of a pain to do that for me and I rarely used it. The shields to too much trouble for me also and I never considered them because of the weight and storage issues. I've settled on the Protect-A-Tow dirt skirt because it only takes one person a minute or so to install or remove. It rolls up and stores easily in a 4" diameter bag about 2' long and weighs only a couple of pounds. Is it perfect at preventing dings on the towed? - nothing is perfect but it does a great job for me. My current MH is a tail dragger and has worn a hole in it. I'm looking at reconfiguring it to mount above the towbar instead of below because of that problem.

Another issue is your mudflap if you have one. Ever drive too close to a semi down the highway and been hit with all sorts of flying debris? Mudflaps dragging the ground will pickup rocks and gravel and flip them up at your towed also. Be sure the mubflap never drags the ground. Ultra-Tow recommends 4-5 inches of clearance measured on a flat surface.

Protect-A-Tow (under the towbar) about $250 delivered. The BlueOx BX88255 and the Roadmaster 4700 Tow Defender are very similar solutions (both over the towbar) also for a little over $400.

Related:

http://community.fmca.com/topic/1251-towed-car-protection-shield/

I have used the Kargard II for 2 years now and find it easy to set up and easy to hook up.

Blue Ox has redesigned it and the 100% back up their product. I had a screen tear. They sent me another screen, and that one started to show signs of tearing. A modification was done, extension added, and screen seems to have better sewing. Just finished a couple months on the road and no problems.