Jimbo60

Onan 7500 QD Code 14

I have a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton we bought 6 months ago. We have used the generator several times. Have changed all the filters and oil.

On a trip to Missouri I started it and it ran a while with the air on. When the load came off and it idled with no load it seemed to surge up and down. It then cut off calling code 14. Any advice?

Jimbo,

Similar issue happened to our neighbors (2007 Phaeton). They also experienced surging and then the generator died when a load was put on (air conditioning). He found an additional fuel filter tucked in the chassis that needed changing. His owner's manual did identify the filter.

I will ask him the location of the filter tomorrow.

Blake

Jimbo,

Welcome to the Forum.

For much quicker results give Tiffin a call. They can tell you if there is another filter and where it is located.

Several other things to check are oil level, water level and fuel. Oil and water both have sensors for over heating and low oil. If your fuel is below 1/4 it will also shut the generator down so you won't run out of fuel.

Herman

Thanks guys for the info, I will call Tiffin tomorrow. I looked on the Internet and the gas gens that called that code were having the carbs replaced. So, bought some cleaner and put in tank, it seems to be better after I ran it for several hours, just not sure if I'm going the right direction.

Thanks guys for the info, I will call Tiffin tomorrow. I looked on the Internet and the gas gens that called that code were having the carbs replaced. So. Bought some cleaner and put in tank, it seems to be better after I ran it for several hours, just not sure if I'm going the right direction.

What do you have? The 7500 QD is a diesel generator.

Bill

Yes Bill, I have a diesel gen, I was making the point that the gas gens called the code for varnish in the carb from sitting and not running. If the theory holds true than I thought running a good fuel cleaner thru my diesel may help. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton we bought 6 months ago. We have used the generator several times. Have changed all the filters and oil.

On a trip to Missouri I started it and it ran a while with the air on. When the load came off and it idled with no load it seemed to surge up and down. It then cut off calling code 14. Any advice?

Depends on your model ie "hkaj" etc but it's probably this

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/files/RVQD_Operators_Manual.pdf

INVERTER OVERFREQUENCY FAULT—CODE NO. 14
(Controller not able to regulate to rated frequency)
Corrective Action:
Reduce the number of connected appliances, especially when air conditioners and

battery chargers are running

Jeff, good post, thank you!

I see your signature, I am interested in the under 60 task force, can you pm me?

Jimbo as a rule of thumb it is best to run one hour per month to exercise the generator. This not only gives you clearer fuel but keeps the winding in good shape.