f442485

House Battery Ground

I own a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endevor diesel pusher.

I recently lost the ground circuit for the house batteries at the chassis. Does anyone know where its located. It disappears somewhere inside the belly pans. I really don't want to disassemble the entire bottom. Thanks

F442485,

Welcome to the Forum!

Belly pans? Are the house batteries dead or fully charged? Is there a light at the inverter? You might have tripped the breaker and it needs to be reset, there is a button on side. Also make sure there are no loose connections.

Carl

F442485, call Monaco @ 1-877-466-6226 follow the prompts until you get to tech support. So far they have been good to me for questions like this.

good luck, let us know what you find.

An electrical circuit is the path or route the electricity follows back to its starting point. Your RV has many electrical paths, each of which include wiring, connections, and an interconnection of one or more electrical components within the path (closed loop) providing a return path for the current, not to forget the source of electrical power. So you may have a break in your circuit or a component failure or a bad connection or power failure.

When there is an electrical failure, one of the first places to start is to check a breaker or fuse to see if one is open, to check the batteries to see if they are holding a sufficient charge, or to see if one of the connections is loose or corroded, a component has failed, etc. I think that was the thrust of Carl's suggestions.

But your description is very confusing. There is no answer to where has my circuit gone!

So, yes, get on the phone to Monaco.

Actually, some house battery circuits do not attach to the chassis. Most use both a positive and ground wired to each device. A simple test, a jumper from the negative post of the house batteries to any point on the chassis where it can be attached with a cleaned spot on the chassis. If the devices come alive, then you have actually found the culprit.

One of my old coaches, the generator started off of the house batteries, and the only attachment for ground to house battery negative was directly to the generator.

I have connected the house battery negative to the chassis battery negative and everything started to work again. I would like to know where the location of the house ground connection is located on the chassis, so I don't have to remove all the belly pans to hunt for it. I have been in the automotive industry for 50 years, mostly doing electrical. I've made all the electrical tests that are appropriate for this condition. thanks for the info.

Welcome to the forum. I don't know on your coach but I would do as jleamont suggested above and call Monaco. I would have your vin number handy. They should be able to supply a complete wiring diagram.

Just curious as I don't have any "belly pans" are these like the ones on a trailer?

Bill

I would start by removing your black tank, that way you don't need to remove any of your belly pans. What you are looking for should be just left of center.

Removal of "black" tank? Don't think so! F442***, you have 50 years in electronics? Never mind, I pass!

F442485, the belly pan has me confused, our two coaches cant be that different. My guess is you are referring to the Semi Monocoque chassis design, with the web of box tubes going all different directions when you look underneath and the covering just above those. They do not remove so I am certain you wire is running above that. It looks like you have almost the same chassis as I but a rear radiator rather than a side radiator. My battery bay is directly behind the passenger side rear wheel, open the door, release the locks and they pull out, top tray two chassis batteries, bottom 4 House batteries. The cables go straight out the back and disappear. Cannot speak to yours (or my current coach) but my old coach the ground went to the chassis frame and was bolted. I had a bad connection once at the ground, it just needed to be cleaned and re installed. I cant imagine your tank bay (if like mine) being in the way. My tank bay is on the opposite side of the same wheel (in front of it), I can only see all of the air lines and loom running above to the front. If Monaco is no help, try and follow those cables, you most likely will have to crawl under the coach to see them come out of the backside of the compartment. Just do it safely, make sure you support the coach with safety stands even if you do not have to lift it to get underneath. you could accidently grab an air line to pull yourself under and deflate the air bags. Or pull the floor in the rear and look over that direction and see if any large cables are bolted to the frame, you just might be able to see that area from the top.