Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Buckhorn Lake Resort

We got back from our trip to Texas last month (just after a 2 ft snowfall here at home) and wanted to thank the members that recommended Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville, Texas. Had a great time seeing the sights. I think we drove every road we could find for 75 miles around Kerrville. The resort was great, clean, neat, enjoyed the Saturday breakfasts, the Friday entertainment, and the Sunday cocktails.

Just wish I had taken my Harley as the biker gang would meet every morning at about 9:00 in the parking lot and then take off to somewhere. Left me standing there drinking my coffee, green with envy! The Harley is going with us next year for sure.

The countryside in that area is very scenic with the rolling hills and rivers. They do call some of the hills "mountains" and I had to correct them a bit and tell them what a mountain really looks like. Being from the mountains in Colorado, the hills down there are hills.

But, we had a great time even tho the temps were way below average the entire time we were there. Cost was pretty reasonable except for the electricity being quite a bit more than home costs.

Left Kerrville and decided to go to Carlsbad as we had not see the caverns there before. I-10 to 285 ( I think) north to Carlsbad to the KOA, way overpriced and extremely dusty and smelly from the oil station across the field. Elevators were out of service at the caverns so left and kept going north to Santa Fe to pick up I-25 north.

I don't think I have ever been on a worse road than 285 north from I-10 to Carlsbad and Santa Fe!!! Almost all the traffic was oil field tankers and the road was broken up so badly I wanted to drive about 25 mph. But the speed limit was 65mph and the tankers were doing 70. Absolutely beat us and the coach and toad to death. Won't go that way again!!!

Got home just in time to winterize during the 40 degree day we had and then stuffed the coach back into the garage. Will be time to get it out for spring cleaning soon.

Anyway, great recommendation by you guys,

Will go there again!

Yes next time bring your bike. there are some great roads to ride and amazing places to visit. I recomend Fredricksberg and National Museum of the Pacific War. Bandera the cowboy capital of Texas. The Lyndon B. Johnson State Park & Historic Site. The whole Canyon Lake area. You could wearout your bike and not see it all.

Bill

You need to come down our way, along the Gulf Coast. Our hills are freeway overpasses.

I hope you had the opportunity to get to San Antonio and the River Walk. I think Carl overstated the percentage that you had seen.

We did get to Fredericksburg, Bandera, Comfort, Luckenbach, and a whole bunch of other little places I can't remember. The drive out of Kerrville along the Guadalupe River was especially nice. Took most of my pistols and spent some time at the nice range in Kerrville. You folks do have some ranches that are a bit bigger than our part of the country!

We did get to San Antonio and the River walk. Went to the Alamo and learned a lot I had not known before. I think next trip we will be in the same spot before we move on to a different part of Texas. Was a nice visit.

We lived in Kerrville for 20 years until we decide to hit the road in 2011!

Another great bike ride is from Bandera to Tarpley, Vanderpool, Leakey, Camp Wood and Rocksprings.

There are so many great places to go in Texas. If you get out to the Big Bend area, try Davis Mountains State Park. Just a few miles from McDonald Observatory and the great programs they present.

Leary,

Correct, there are so many things to see in this great state of Herman. Born a TEXAN 79 years ago. One bit of advice when seeing Texas on your motorcycle. Be sure you leave each morning with a full tank of gas. Don't want you to run out. Some places are wonderful to visit but far from pumps.

God Bless Texas and God Bless the USA and our men & women in uniform.

Herman

We did get to Fredericksburg, Bandera, Comfort, Luckenbach, and a whole bunch of other little places I can't remember. The drive out of Kerrville along the Guadalupe River was especially nice. Took most of my pistols and spent some time at the nice range in Kerrville. You folks do have some ranches that are a bit bigger than our part of the country!

We did get to San Antonio and the River walk. Went to the Alamo and learned a lot I had not known before. I think next trip we will be in the same spot before we move on to a different part of Texas. Was a nice visit.

Glad you got to see the River Walk. Don't forget the next time in the area of San Antonio to see all the missions (San Antonio Missions National Park Service). Since you took in The Alamo, you have seen one.