jleamont

Proper Filter Selection

I found out some disturbing information yesterday with regards to filter specs, in my case it was fuel filter related but could apply to all engine/transmission filters.

Without getting too technical, I will attempt to write this so everyone will understand. On today's engines the margin for component failure has greatly been increased by tighter tolerances within our fuel systems, internal engine lubrication systems and cooling systems which can cause premature failure by either allowing too much dirt, not enough fuel, oil or coolant to pass into or throughout the engine/transmission. Older engines are more forgiving and will be less effected by an incorrect spec filter. None the less proper selection should still be important to the owner, after all when something fails we still have to open or checkbook to pay for it.

I was fuel filter shopping and came across a popular brand that had a better price point than the Fleetguard filters that are currently on my coach (Cummins OEM provider). I do not want to mention the filter manufacture, they are a top aftermarket provider and while it was not a good fit for my application it may be for another (my Aqua Hot filter is aftermarket, those are identical), the installer should do his or her homework first. These filters could be easily sourced rather than web ordering my Fleetguard filters. Sounded like a plan until I did more research. Upon further research (contacting the aftermarket filter tech lines (two different companies) and Fleetguard tech line) the filter is a direct cross over but is 80% more restrictive and incorrect for my application. My secondary fuel filter is a 10 micron rating, the after market version is a 2 micron rating. After speaking with Cummins a 2 Micron rating will starve my injection pump on heavy acceleration causing it to fail prematurely and in the short term I will have less power pulling hills. I had both tech lines compare the following; Funny all agreed in the end I should not use the aftermarket filters :blink: .

Absolute Micron rating

Nominal rating

Mean filter rating

This link explains the difference in ratings

http://www.lenntech.com/library/fine/absolute/absolute-nominal-filters.htm

This link below was a concern when I was a dealer tech, showing the differences on a Ford 6.0L or VT365 Maxxforce (same engine) and some engine failures these filters have caused. Remembering this back then was the reason for my research yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvnTwCujBJE

The aftermarket filters were not even close to the requirements engineered by Cummins, so I thought, lets try another filter manufacture, and they were off also.

After this research I am just going to spend the $1.00 to $3.00 more on each filter and order them online again. Better safe than sorry.

I thought this would be good information to pass on as it was a real eye opener for me, I figured if I helped one person avoid a costly repair I did my good deed for today. I am sure all of us on here just want to enjoy our Coaches driving to our destination and at our destination, not sitting on the roadside or in a repair lot waiting for a costly repair to be completed.

Sorry you didn't write this a month ago Joe. It bit me a week and a half ago, my KIA Soul started knocking, towed it to the dealer, they called yesterday, and said that it would not be covered under warranty, was well within the mileage and time, but the filter that was being used by the oil change place that I use does not meet KIA specs.

"OUCH!!!!!!"

Joe,

Thanks for your post and research. We are due for service and will check with the owner of the shop we use as to what filters he uses on our equipment. Fortunately, he owns the premier shop in our area and specializes in Benz, Lambo, Ferrari and other top autos. He's been taking care of our stuff since we moved here over 9 years ago. Plus he lives across the street and has a Tiffin Phaeton!

Kay.....bummer....are you able to pursue recourse through your oil change shop?

Blake

OK, just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a Fleetguard engineer.

Yes, indeed, micron ratings between various filter manufacturers CAN be deceiving.

Correct secondary/only filter on single filter system for the Cummins ISL:

Pre 2005: FS 1022

2005 and newer: FS 1003

The FS 1003 can be used on earlier years as well and is newer filter media technology. Same micron rating, same flow rate.

Both filter 10 micron at 98%, 5 micron at 83%.

Primary= first one the fuel get to (between fuel tank and lift pump)

Secondary= second one fuel gets to (between lift pump and injection pump/engine)

Brett, you and me both! My secondary is a 10 Nominal but Mean spec is 7. My primary is a 12 nominal but a Mean of 10. I was told on CAPS systems this is common. Cummins explained that the CAPS Injection pump is forgiving on fine dirt particles but if you starve it you will replace it. My first thought was 2 is better (thinking of CAT HEUI systems) I was quickly corrected. And we then verified that the filters on the engine were in fact correct by engine SN, not filters that just happened to fit. That made me feel much better since I went with what was on it when we purchased it.

Kay, sorry to hear, these manufactures have become more stringent on what they will except and what they will not when it comes to warranty. I lived that every day when I worked at the dealer. they were even sampling fluids prior to submitting warranty claims, if any thing was out of spec you were denied. Back then coolant was often topped off with what ever the customer had lying around and would always result in a voided claim.

Thanks Joe and with this thread I would say I no longer use Fram filters for many years. I'm not going to say why but instead I put my flame suit on. When I was working fleet it took awhile to get them to stop using Fram filters or knock off generic filters. I had to wear my flame suit then also as government agency will say low bid. :o

Puff, I agree on the Fram, never crossed my mind to use their filter. When I was at the Utility co we had a filter cutter, (big can opener) we would periodically test different filters on a specific unit, sample the oil for each interval and open the filters. I remember opening one and the element inside was less than 1/3 of the can size and it looked like a piece of a cardboard box. Yup you guessed it it also produced the worst oil sample on the test. That was part of our cost savings initiative that we had to do for funding (attempt to lower operating costs).

Joe

Thanks for the info.

I started using FleetGuard in the mid eighties after learning the hard way and have never looked back. In the beginning they were a lot more expensive but it ended most all of our issues with air, fuel.oil and water.The only other filters I stocked were genuine Cat for those customers who requested them or those Cats still under warranty. FleetGuard has always been top of the line. I would only use one other in an extreme emergency and that is Napa Gold.

Kay

As far as your motor failure, most if not all aftermarket filter manufacturers will have a warranty to cover that issue. Add in the service provider and you could have some ground to stand on but be prepared for deny deny deny.

Gary

Brett, I use the FS1022 also as my Secondary filter. My primary is an FS1015B. You will most likely get the same response I got when I asked why are they so close in specs.

Note: This is a re-post of my post above, which I edited following my conversation with the Fleetguard engineer:

OK, just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a Fleetguard engineer.

Yes, indeed, micron ratings between various filter manufacturers CAN be deceiving.

Correct secondary/only filter on single filter system for the Cummins ISL:

Pre 2005: FS 1022

2005 and newer: FS 1003

The FS 1003 can be used on earlier years as well and is newer filter media technology. Same micron rating, same flow rate.

Both filter 10 micron at 98%, 5 micron at 83%.

Primary= first one the fuel get to (between fuel tank and lift pump)

Secondary= second one fuel gets to (between lift pump and injection pump/engine)

Brett, if you do not have any luck locating them locally, here is a link where I purchased them from, you will have to call for these as they are not listed on their website. I ordered mine from https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/

Over a certain dollar amount the shipping is free. The Price on the FS1022 was cheaper from them also, especially with the free shipping. I just stocked up on others to get the free shipping, not hard to do when your air filter is $140.00 :blink:

Can't go wrong with OEM.

I spent many hours trying to find a basic oil filter for my DD 500. The filter part number is a dozen numbers long and I could find many filters very very close, maybe off by a number or two...and they all looked "right." I finally tracked down a DD tech who told me it must be the exact number...period. After many hours, I finally found a Freightliner dealer who sold OEM filters...got a couple. I had a Cummins ISL prior to the DD...Cummins filters are everywhere!!