mikerodg

Resort/Club Memberships

Curious what your experience with and input would be about resort/club memberships.

I've found 4 but I'm still confused about how they work.

Coast to Coast

RPI ( resort clubs international)

Encore 

Thousand trails

Thanks

Mike

03 Phaeton DP

All you got to  do is call one and they will give you a date to come in and generally you get 2 or 3 nights free....after that, you will have no further Questions!

Carl

Well I got talked into a TT (Thousand Trails) membership. At the time we purchased our Zone Pass in 2014, they were running a “buy one zone, get one free” deal for $545, so we got both the Northwest and Southwest Zones for that price. The sales rep we spoke to, added Encore properties to the deal. The big hook for me was were guaranteed 7 days at the property just outside Yosemite National Park.

We were staying at the TT property Medina Lakes outside San Antonio Texas for a rally. I did not realize that this place pretty much mired the rest of the parks. Older Run down narrow camp sites. The campsite was on dirt no patio no table or outside amenities.

The roads were dirt with lots of potholes and rough spots. There was a water leak in the dirt road in front of my campsite. As an aside it made for some good wild game watching as there was a drought in the area. All the game came to water right in front of us.  The drought was so severe the lake was dry with people planting crops in the lake bed. The lake was over 80 feet below level yet according to a couple that was next to us TT was still promoting the water sports at the park when they called about a reservation.

Back to Thousand Trails.  

South west zone includes 6 states 18 camp grounds 3 states don’t have a camp ground and Nevada and Arizona have one each. The one that I stayed at in Arizona was an Encore Property and was one of the better places. We were parked on a big flat parking lot with hookups. It is primarily for snow birds and is 90-95% permanent park model type structures.  I will say this it was one of the only places that had a readymade package of information about the area and some coupons for local attractions.

North West Zone includes 9 states 18 campgrounds; 7 states have no campgrounds. Only Oregon and Washington have camp grounds. Saying you have a zone that covers 9 states sounds good but it is actually only 2 states have any campgrounds you can use.

Read and understand the rules and fine print. Little things tend to aggravate like you can stay free but if you want 50-amp service that is an additional $5.00 per night.

The thing that made/makes me mad is they repeatedly said this was a one-year deal and I could renew it if I wanted to. Yet they charged my credit card without my permission. They said that by signing the original paperwork it became an automatic renewal. I had asked repeatedly if it was a one-year deal and was assured I would have to renew myself or it would end. I looked and my lawyer looked it over and could find no such clause. They refunded my money and we are all happy now.

I know several people who have TT and love it and some are in at higher levels. I don’t want to say it won’t work. But for me I will pass.

Bill

We initially looked at Thousand Trails when we bought our coach.  If I remember right it was close to Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert.  We were given 3 nights free but had to attend an introductory sales meeting.  The meeting was informative but the reps were hard core and pushy.  That turned us off so we, as politely as possible, declined.

Parents had joined Coast to Coast several years prior.  Their campground was at the West entrance to Yosemite.  We spent a lot of time there and had a ball on every trip.

Now, when traveling, we look for "destination" campgrounds or overnight campgrounds.  Depends on what we are doing and current plans.   We enjoy KOA's because we know what we're getting and the staff is usually very helpful and friendly.  Destination campgrounds are more expensive but we like them because we can get a meal, cocktails and limited groceries like milk and bread.

I don't think we've missed much by not having a membership.......

Blake

Blake.  You haven't missed a thing...all the "Campground memberships" have come out in the 48+ years that I have been coach RV'g. :P  Have been to them all !

Bill.  Don't "Sugar Coat it", tell it like it is! :lol:  You can go to any RV Rally, be it trailers or motorhomes, and there is going to be a "Sell or Buy a Campground Membership" booth there!  Last one I saw was at Perry, GA.  Like Bill said, there is a small % of the market that like that sort of thing!

Carl

Interesting topic. We filled out a few of the cards at an RV show a few years back for prizes, we have gotten the calls advising us we won something <_<. 5 free nights in Gettysburg PA but we had to go to claim the prize, right away I said to my DW this is a time share. So we go listen to the speech, picked up the coupon for 5 free days, never used it. It was just like Bill mentioned above, pay a few thousand $$ get a list of campgrounds (funny they were all in less desirable locations around the US, and there wasn't many either). So they tell us "or you can be like the rest of the families here and just park your RV here for the camping season". My wife spouts out, why would I want to sit here and look at the same scenery, our motorhome has wheels under it for a reason". Thanks but no thanks!

They explained to us that 95% of RV owners do not think that way, we are the "other 5%". Ill drink to that!:D

I am sure there might be some benefit to these, depending on your lifestyle, how often you travel etc. But its not for us. We want to go to different places, explore and see the USA, not sit at a CG/trailer park and watch the same old same old all the time. I have often thought it might save us a few dollars, but when you add up what I spend per year on CG's vs. what these cost, I am ahead by a few hundred, plus they often are not where we want to go. We also do not like rolling into some dump with washed out roads, no defined sites etc. I prefer to spend a few extra dollars and stay someplace memorable and enjoyable. Its one thing if you stop for a night and just want a place to plug in, dump and fill your tanks.

Blake, we also destination camp several times a year, usually at a beach town area. Our one favorite spot has a restaurant and tiki bar on the beach at the CG. Just a great place to unwind, watch the water skiers from your seat and listen to the band play. I will often head into town pick up 2-3 dozen Blue Crabs while we are there also. :P

If you are ever out this way let me know, we have a few great destination CG's not far in DE and MD. One is under construction, I have it booked 2 x this season.

I am confident we haven't missed anything by not having a membership.

Carl, can't help it I left out about the scratches I got in the coach in Washington state where the campground roads were lined by scrub trees and brush and the site was so tight I couldn't back in with out dragging the front end in the brush. When I got parked I was 4 inches from the bumper of the coach behind me and was proud into the road. But I digress.

Now I know of some people who have ben using them and are happy. They are full time. I can only report what I saw and experienced first hand. I did get rather mad when they charged my credit card with out permission. That was after repeatedly telling me that it was a one time one year deal.

There are other restrictions on staying in parks and if you stay over X number of nights you can't go to another TT park till you have ben out of the system a certain number of days. Charging for 50 amp. But some love the TT life.

Bill

My DW and I noticed that most of the "camp for the RV season", that Joe mentioned, are predominantly in NE (New England) States and NW (Oregon, Washington and Idaho).  Like many others in the late 70's and early 80's, we would go to their free overnight to collect the free goodies, by listening to their spiel. 

All the kids got free sleeping bags, igloo ice chests, Colman lanterns and 2 burner Colman stove with the gas bottle...it took us a trip to all the TT sights in Texas, twice!  DW's kids, wanted the morning comfort of a Motor Home, but the privacy of a tent! 

That arrangement worked real well for 2 years....until the 10" of rain in one night!  We asked the kids and their 2 friends to come with us to the Evening show in Palo Duro Canyon and they did not want too!  Well we had a Blue Northern come thru about 9pm.  Canyon got closed, temp dropped like a rock and rain turned to sleet...we got back to campground and the tents was blown away (what do you mean, "we have to take care of camping equipment"? ).  Last outing with over 18 kids!  DW told them to buy their own!

Be sure you read the paper work very carefully.  We had Thousand Trails...did not renew.