shalom

Need Tires-- New Or Take Offs

Bruce, 

Go on the Michelin Advantage site on fmca.com. check list for your tire and get the MAPN. Then call FMCA and ask for the lady that handles the program. Give her the MSPN and she will give you the price less your state tax. Find a dealer and check availability. You do need to call Michelin and register your credit card and F number.

All this information is spelled out very clearly on the site.

Herman 

Bruce,

You will choke when you find out the coast of the 275 70 22.5 Michelins. Have a look at the Goodyear 761 HSA .  They are not RV specific tires and subsequently they do not have the UV protection that the 760s do. I have a Safari Panther I just put them on, they rode great, very smooth. Cost was $500 a corner out the door! My reasoning for these over the 760s was that they will age out before they wear out. I will see...

Bill Edwards

t

Yes Herman,  They were a little rich for my blood and so I am trying another of their round rolling donuts. Are you going to use them again is the big question or are these the ones you just put on? Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Bill Edwards

Bill,

When we bought the coach in 07 it had the G 670s all around. Have replaced them all with the same. I have over 40k on them and some have aged out. They still have very good tread and no cracking. Sorry, yes I will continue to use them.

Herman 

Herman,

I was not making a case against them as I am sure they are a good tire. I just did not want to spend another grand until I think I will get my money out of them in terms of mileage. We are not quite ready for the full time route yet. I have to finish this American hand scribed log cabin I have been building  and that I would like you to see in the next couple of years.

Bill Edwards

Bill.  They all age out, before they wear out ! :(  Bottom line for me, has to do with safety and ride...I got my last batch (8) Michelins in Oregon...no sales tax !  No, they are not cheap and it comes out to about $1,000 per year for the 7 years I keep them...There are a lot of tire brands out there, that probably are just as good.  I'm not going to be the test coach to find out.  $$$ !:o

Like most things in life, you generally get what you pay for.  :D  

Carl,

I would concur with that  statement...for the most part. As for tires generally. Virtually all of my experience has been with those little ones fitting Porsches and the like. Though I do have many, many, miles on 235 80 16s fitted on Ford 1 ton vans and pickups. For years I ran the Bridgestone V-Steels and believe me they were wonderful. . They wore well and square, great ride and good traction. I started using them when the wholesale house I used for the shop stated that they were 20 dollars a tire less than Michelin and had the same performance. The replacement was terrible in comparison.

Bridgestone recently, 4 or so years ago, quit making them and now the only people making an all steel light truck tire is Michelin and a Chinese manufacturer. I had no real choice but to go Michelin with the last set. I can tell you unequivocally that the current Michelin is not the tire in any manner that the Bridgestone was.

As for the coach, it was originally equipped  with Toyos, a terrific tire and the priced very favorably, and more so than the Michelins. I would have used the Toyos on the Panther but they do not produce a 275 70 22.5 and apparently did not back when this coach was new since it was equipped with the Goodyears of that time. The Goodyears on the coach when I purchased the coach in December looked brand new. Other than just dry looking there was not a check/fracture in the side wall nor in the tread grooves. So I stuck with the tire brand and installed new ones. I spoke with the Tireman about the issues surrounding the Goodyear tires purportedly having problems and concluded it really did not.

All of that said with those big tires you use in compared to those little ones I use, I might have to reconsider...

;Bill Edwards

Well, on my Porsche, I ran Perrelis.  My 2500 Chevy 4x4 Duramax, I have BF Goodrich On/off and love them.  On Jeep I had Big O tires, yes China, mudders for 46,000 miles and changed to NITTO's because they have low road noise...twice the price.  Unfortunately none of them apply to 56,000 pounds (me loaded)!  I can get cheaper ones, but I like the ride of the 315 80 22.5 front and 295 rear, DOT is July 14 front and August 14 rear...got them at Superior Tire in OR., no sales tax !:D

On 7/18/2016 at 10:46 AM, rsbilledwards said:

Bruce,  You will choke when you find out the coast of the 275 70 22.5 Michelins. Have a look at the Goodyear 761 HSA .  They are not RV specific tires and subsequently they do not have the UV protection that the 760s do. I have a Safari Panther I just put them on, they rode great, very smooth. Cost was $500 a corner out the door! My reasoning for these over the 760s was that they will age out before they wear out. I will see...Bill Edwards

RE RV specific sidewall rubber compounding.  I have never seen direct side by side test data that shows the "RV" tires are in fact measurably better after say 6 years use. Not saying they are not better but I prefer hard data to sales and marketing information.

Anyone know if RV specific tires carry longer warranty against sidewall cracking that non-rv specific tires?

Did not know I have a warranty on sidewall "cracking" !  I can understand against manufacturing...but Sun light?!