royclem

"Part Time" Insurance

I have a Quote from Progressive Insurance Its for My RV, and It's for Driving Between 30 and 150 Days, way less than the days we use It

My Question is is it OK to have this "part time" Insurance? It covers you year round as long as you don't use it more than 150 days  a year.

Has anyone used this type of insurance? 

My largest concern, make sure that the comprehensive part stays in effect 365.25. That is the part that covers glass breakage and storm damage. I have a policy that the liability portion can be put on hold, all we have to do is call the day before we leave, it goes into effect as soon as we call and stays in effect until we return, there is a 30 day minimum each time we call.

Roy,

We had GMAC for several years. When we were not using the coach we would call and put the coach in "Storage" for a minimum of 30 days. This meant we didn't pay for liability coverage for that period. Comprehensive stayed in effect. This kept the coach covered in case of fire or some other loss other than collision. A must for the lien holder which most of us have.

GMAC was good coverage but we found a better price. We are now with Texas Farm Bureau.

Herman 

Roy, we have similar coverage. I have a mileage cap per year I can run which will dictate my rates, otherwise it is assumed its parked and it is covered in case of storm damage etc. I plan our trips every year, total up the mileage estimate and contact our agent, I add some fluff into it just to be safe.

I also let them know it sits from November to March at home, if in storage it was more $$, since its at our house it was a little cheaper.

We have Erie Insurance for everything.

Thank You All for your replies I have learned a great deal on this type of insurance and now I realize I have been grossly over paying for my insurance coverage  

On 5/8/2016 at 7:55 AM, kaypsmith said:

My largest concern, make sure that the comprehensive part stays in effect 365.25. That is the part that covers glass breakage and storm damage. I have a policy that the liability portion can be put on hold, all we have to do is call the day before we leave, it goes into effect as soon as we call and stays in effect until we return, there is a 30 day minimum each time we call.

Kay,

with this sort of coverage, how do you navigate the Alabama automobile insurance audit system that is in place to be sure you have insurance associated with the MH tag number?

In Alabama, an rv is the only vehicle that does not require a tag to be renewed in the same month that it is due in, as long as it is not being driven on the public roads. For instance, all are due in October/November, but if you do not drive it until March, you can go to the tag office in March before driving it, no penalty is assessed, and the tag will be prorated for the rest of the year. Of course you will be required to sign an affidavit that it has not been driven on any public road during this period. The same is true for the liability portion of your insurance. Be sure that you are driving at any time without either on the public roads, the penalty will be the same if caught driving without. Most are unaware of the law concerning this but you can confirm it at the courthouse, or visit the Alabama DMV. gov website. The technical name for this tag type is , "apportioned".