ROYBON

Colorado hwy 550

Question

How safe would it be to travel 550 frpm Durango going north? Running 40ft dp with wrangler toad.

ROY

T396 TROPICAL 350HP ALLISON 3000

2015 WRANGLER AIR FORCE 1

8 answers to this question

I've never traveled this route.  I ran a profile, there are three passes near 11,000 feet.  It is a US Highway so the road should be good enough.  I'm certain your coach can do it, you'll have to make the decision whether you want to tackle this.  If you and your passenger(s) are OK, the scenery should be great.  I'm certain someone who has made the trip will respond sooner or later. 

This website has detailed information on attractions and points of interest on this route.  Here is another website which has more detailed information about the driving conditions on the route.  This link takes you to a previous discussion on this route.

Personally, given the above, I'd love to drive the route and wouldn't hesitate to take it on.

This is a route for your towed, not your MH and your towed, unless you just want to "outdo" the next person.  Sheer dropoffs, no guard rails, and often fallen rocks and debris are what you encounter along this route along with overly tight turns, even if you are on the inside lane, you are subjecting your MH to the rocks on the right.  Oh well, if you have enough Evel Knievel in you, go for it.  Otherwise, pick another route.

Don

Beings that we live and breath Colorado and live at 8050 ft above sea level...550 is no problem and as Mr. Butler indicated several pretty good passes so slow going, slow and steady will get you there every time and the scenery is terrific. There is lots of twisty road. My question is what direction are you going as it makes a difference to how much traffic one encounters. The Ouray to Silverton or visa versa is incredible. There are several very nice RV parks in the area. I have addressed this specific route before, here.

My absolute favorite route north to south would be the Delores River Road otherwise known as HWY 145 just east of Cortez intersecting 141. 141 is not marked scenic but is every bit as stunning maybe more so than 550. It is a narrower road but perfectly adequate for a 40+ footer. Most of the traffic is from north to south making it perfect for going the other way. It has one major pass, Lizard Head, which looks like one of the peaks from the Saw Tooth Mts. in Idaho. It is an imposing, grey granite sharp sided, sitting majestically tall, and snow faced most of the year.

145 cutting left from the intersection to Telluride which sits at the end of an enormously tall box canyon takes you to a historic water flume that fed the gold placer mines. near Placerville. The flume carried a million gallons of water a day to the barely producing mines in the local hills. This flume was constructed along the cliffs of the river well above the river level. This is a geological transition point where you go from above river level to river level and the cliffs move ever higher the further you go north. the cliffs grow nearly a 1000 feet in height, the valley narrows to what seems like 600 yards and are a deep red in color. The hayfields are green, it is a very enveloping scene and you are part of it, a spectator all by your selves...as in NO traffic! It gives real meaning to "off the beaten trail"..

Lastly the best part, take them both as neither is like the other. The topography and the geology 100% different.

Good luck and have a great time

Bill Edwards

Don,

Never considered myself Evel Knievel though I've put many a mile on motorcycles and I have flown small airplanes.  We drive California Hwy 88 across the Sierra Nevada one time each way almost every year going to and from Valley Springs to visit our daughter and her family.  On our first trip west in our 1994 Dynasty, we drove the Salt River Canyon northeast of Globe, Arizona on US 60.  Among other memorable drives is the knife edge ridge of Utah Hwy 12 east of Bryce Canyon National Park and California Hwy 190 west out of Death Valley from Stovepipe Wells to US 395 and then California Hwy 178 on to Bakersfield.  That last one we actually encountered open range and had to make a stop for several cows in the middle of the road!  And who could forget the drive into and out of Valdez, Alaska or the Over the Top road from Dawson City, Yukon to Chicken, Alaska?  The list goes on but you get the idea.

So I'd rank myself as an experienced mountain driver.  Maybe I should get a "don't follow me" sticker for the back of the motor home!  Read the previous discussion that I cited in the post above and you'll find plenty of people who share my opinion.  I've added US 550 to my plans for this summer!  :D

Not giving Don a hard time but he sounds like he is from the Texas flatlands. True the section from Ouray to Silverton is a drive to test your concentration it is an absolutely spectacular drive through one of Colorado's major historic mining districts. This section is not for the faint of heart! Make reservations now for the park in Ouray.

Have fun

Bill Edwards

The trip from  Durango to Ouray is easier.  The drop offs that are most breath taking and without guard rails occur when approaching Ouray, but they are on the south bound side. I made the trip several times in our 34 footer. Two years ago I made the southbound trip in our 40' towing a Subaru Forester. Little more work? with the increased length , but things went well. There are drop offs NB side before you get to Silverton , but the road is wider there.

Last fall US 550 was undergoing some repair work on stretch between Silverton and Ouray so I decided on 145. Pretty ride , but I like 550 better. Spend a few hours in Silverton if you can.

Every time this topic comes up on any RV website,  the guys that are afraid of US550 just have to have their way and the RVer's that have done the trip are completely irresponsible. That oughta stir the negatives up???. 

Thanks for all the info did it many years in a 28ft and no toad. Older now and not a good as I once was. Again thanks everyone for help.