mexicoboy

Bought Safari With 1991 Detroit Diesel 8-Cylinder Engine

Well just found out we purchased a 1991 Safari RV with a Detroit diesel. I believe it is an eight cylinder. In the shop getting ready to go and we are out of town at this time. I am wondering if anybody has this motor in their RV and are they any good. We purchased a 1991 Safari Ivory, 36 foot pusher. I was told it had a Cat engine and unfortunately I did not do my homework.

So Good, or Bad  engine?  Hopefully not the two stroke as I have read that it is mpg poor. Also where can I go to get more info on this engine?

mexicoboy, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

There are 2 members that could offer some real good information and if they both chime in you will get good information. Detroit engines are not in my pay scale.

Dave your phone is ringing ! Brett will get involved a some point.

Rich.

Well Rich, there is a third, 91 is probably an 8V92, unless it has been changed out. The C50 and 60 series were the 4 stroke models that started being installed in the later 93 vehicles. If it is an 8V92, it is a two stroker, 475 to 500 HP depending on the computer settings. It is a very strong and beefy engine. 8 cylinder models in hilly terrain will behave very well, and are capable of using Jacob braking, you will need to determine whether yours has this or not. Depending on how you drive it will determine what fuel mileage you can achieve. I run a 6V92, 335 HP, and average 6 to 7.8 with a gross of 39,000#, 8 will actually do a little better under some conditions. Unfortunately, mechanics are getting harder to find due to the dying breed of this beast, but Detroit still can service, and parts are reasonably easy to obtain. If it is a C series, it will be a 4 stroker, and mechanics are available almost anywhere, as it is a widely used engine in freight tractors. The two stroke models will require more oil replacement as most are known leakers for reasons that I wont divulge here unless asked. Good luck with your purchase, and if the engine was misrepresented for the sale, many states have some recourse that you might wont to look into. But you did ask if they were any good, it is a million mile motor if properly maintained, mine currently 262000 on the second rebuild. Also if it is a two stroke, you will need to use single weight oil, as the engine is not designed for multi-viscosity, ie. 15W40, many mechanics will tell you OK, and for running purposes, it is, but the leaking really becomes excessive if used.

All Right Kay, Will add your name to the list among all the other skills !!! Just know that it is not on my skill set. I have a feeling there might be a few more on the forum with a good knowledge of the Detroit. 

Rich.

I will have to wait till I get back to be sure which motor it has exactly, I have an email to mechanic and waiting for an answer. I ran the serial number but it must be too old to tell me engine type and size. Anyhow, friendly forum. Thanks, will have more questions later. I do love forums.

Don't forget the old DD 8.2 turbo-charged V8, nicknamed the "fuel pincher."

We have one in our Foretravel. Finding anyone that can work on it was a nightmare! They are totally mechanical and the shops today prefer to only work on the engines with computer readout access. Oh, how progress hurts us old *****

Yup, agree with nighthawk.

Don't recall any 2 stroke DD's in Safaris.

Suspect you have the 8.2 liter V8, 4 stroke DD.  Totally unrelated to the 2 strokes.

You will need to find an "old timer" who still remembers this engine.

Lift up the bed and look at the engine. If a DD 8.2L you should see exhaust piping coming from the exhaust manifold on each side of the engine that goes up to a turbo housing, then flex exhaust going over and down to the muffler.

We average 8-9 MPG towing our 2006 Saturn Vue. Our coach is a 36' Foretravel ORED (Oshkosh chassis, Rear engine, Diesel) with the DD 8.2L turbo-charged V8 with straight exhaust. and a 4-speed Allison transmission.

Hills used to be quite a challenge until I ditched the muffler and went straight pipe. A bit louder but much better pickup, more power, and we even passed semis while climbing hills on a divided highway!!

Either way both Detroit's are good engines, I would take those any day over an electronic engine, especially if built after 2007.

Thanks nitehawk

I found out it is the 8.2 for sure. I am very interested in the straight exhaust idea. Living in Colorado still need emissions .I am guess it will still pas. Good idea, thanks

Richard

15 minutes ago, mexicoboy said:

Thanks nitehawk

I found out it is the 8.2 for sure. I am very interested in the straight exhaust idea. Living in Colorado still need emissions .I am guess it will still pas. Good idea, thanks

Richard

Richard, some states will require a muffler for inspections, if so try Magnaflow if you decide to change the muffler and need one for local laws. I just installed one on my coach (its straight through). Very happy with it so far and it wasn't expensive

https://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-performance/mufflers/straight-through/7-round/products/

If you do go to the AERO I have one I bought for my coach that was incorrect, it is 4 in 4 out. I needed a 5 in and 5 out. I It was a newbie mistake,  I will make you a great deal. It is new in the box.  PM me I live in Evergreen, Colorado

Bill Edwards

Hi there all

Back in Mexico for a few months. Probably get back to our camper in June again. A note to Bill Edwards, sorry I missed your post, not sure how to Pm you as I probably would have gotten that AERO system from you. I believe I have a 4 inch but now will have to wait to get back to measure.

Most importantly we did great in our maiden voyage. Went about 5k miles and for the most part Detroit diesel is great. Hard to pull some mountain passes. Seemed to have just enough power when manually downshifting. Only problem was overheating. Not really loaded down and pulling nothing. Will clean front of radiator when we return and see if that helps. Not sure it has enough power to pull a car or not, sure need one as our dog travels with us and we cannot take her on our little scooter we run around on.

Safari with Oshkosh chassis is a rough ride, did better when front water tank was filled up, unfortunately tank leaks so it would get worse at times. By the end of trip we were used to it and driving 36 footer was no longer an issue. No Fear HaHa. We have good shocks so it will just have to be what it is, straight axle, no air ride.

At any rate thanks for having this forum as it helps a lot .

Front tires at 90 PSI and rears at 85 PSI help the ride.

If overheating try flushing the radiator after soaking with Dawn. Flush from the back end of the coach, not the front! Use garden hose, not pressure washer--unless you keep the nozzle quite a distance away from the radiator. I even used my leaf blower to back blow thru the fins. Oh, cover the engine and alternator before flushing!!!

If you normally are in the southern states where temps are higher I would investigate the dual electric fans from O'reilly's and mount them on the rear bumper side of the radiator. These, in conjunction with the engine fan, should help keep engine temps.

Not sure what is in Dawn liquid soap, so there is a possibility of it reacting with the aluminum in the CAC and radiator. So you might want to consider using Simple Green EXTREME to clean them. It is FAA approved to clean Aircraft Aluminum. No ingredients that would have a reaction.

Found it at PEP Boys in spray bottles and can be ordered through Walmart on line in gallons and diluted for application in different levels of grease. There should be other outlets that stock or can order the product. 

Rich.