ccmsm

Clicking Noise from Water Heater

I have a clicking noise coming from the back of my water heater. It is a 10 gallon Atwood with gas and electric. it just does it occasionally just enough to be annoying. The water heater is only 4 feet from the head of our bed. It doesn't sound like the gas trying to light. I never use the gas option. It sounds more like trying to start a car with a dead battery. It has taken me about 2 months to figure out where its coming from. My coach is a little less than 2 years old. Any help would be appreciated.    Thanks,  ccmsm

Cams, Just one click or multiples? How often does it happen? Like every hr. Just enough to be annoying is a little open ended !

If the water heater is where you can get to it easily, place your hand or hold a wooded dowel against the mixing valve and see if you can feel the noise.

Just have to wonder if the mixing valve has issues? They do not use the best ones when building the coach.

Rich.

It does it 3 or 4 times an hour. If I understand correctly how the mixer valve works if it didn't work at all I probably wouldn't notice it right?

3 hours ago, ccmsm said:

It does it 3 or 4 times an hour. If I understand correctly how the mixer valve works if it didn't work at all I probably wouldn't notice it right?

Just sounds like there is a pressure equalization thing going on. Could you run just the hot water and if you have a meat thermometer- what is the water temperature?

Also! after you run the hot water - how long is it before you hear the noise. Longer or Shorter ?

Rich. 

Its multiple clicks each time and then it might be an hour or so till it does it again. Then it may do it every few minutes for a while. Thats why it took so long to determine where its coming from.

Since you are using it on electric, not gas, if you can get access to the control board, there may be a relay that is faulty, or maybe just a poor 12 volt connection to the control board that is not holding the relay and causing multiple tries. The control board is 12 volt DC since it serves as gas or electric, even a poor ground to the control board can cause problems. And as Rich says, the mixing valve maybe the culprit.

Could it be that you have depleted the air pocket at the top of the tank?  If so, there may be too much pressure in the tank and the equalizing valve is trying to do it's job when it shouldn't have to.  There should ALWAYS be some air at the top of the tank to allow for water expansion as it heats.

You can replenish the air pocket by either (1) draining a small amount of water from the tank via the drain plug or (2) draining your hose completely and then reconnecting it and turn the pedestal valve on and then going into the RV and opening a hot water valve someplace.  The air in the hose will travel to the hot water heater and stay there (most of it anyway). 

Lenp

11 hours ago, lenp said:

Could it be that you have depleted the air pocket at the top of the tank?  If so, there may be too much pressure in the tank and the equalizing valve is trying to do it's job when it shouldn't have to.  There should ALWAYS be some air at the top of the tank to allow for water expansion as it heats.

You can replenish the air pocket by either (1) draining a small amount of water from the tank via the drain plug or (2) draining your hose completely and then reconnecting it and turn the pedestal valve on and then going into the RV and opening a hot water valve someplace.  The air in the hose will travel to the hot water heater and stay there (most of it anyway). 

Lenp

This is worth trying. I have used the pressure relief valve to drain a little water out. I hadn't thought of the hose method.

Bill

My electric water heater groans every time the hot water is turned on and only groans when the cold water is run and turned off. Believe it is the hot water check valve.

Howie Snyder