mikey229617

Supplemental Towed Vehicle Lighting Requirements

If I tow a vehicle behind my coach on a dolly that has full lighting and brakes, do I need to add additional lighting to the towed vehicle?  If so, what is the best way to do that on a vehicle that has no metal to attached magnetic lights to?

Thanks.

Roof mounted cross bar with the lights on it.

I would just prefer to have all the available safety items to keep the idiots from ramming into my vehicle.

In most states they require a red flag on anything that protrudes more 18" pass the end of the vehicle. I would assume the same would be the same for a trailer which a tow dolly is.

Herman 

8 hours ago, Mikey229617 said:

If I tow a vehicle behind my coach on a dolly that has full lighting and brakes, do I need to add additional lighting to the towed vehicle?  If so, what is the best way to do that on a vehicle that has no metal to attached magnetic lights to?

Thanks.

If the law requires lights further back than on the tow dolly you can splice into your existing wire harness with diodes and use the original lights.  Another way if the light housing are large enough would be to install additional bulbs and wire it independently.

I made a light assembly with a "CAR IN TOW SIGN" between the lights, used a lightweight bicycle carrier that mounts into the receiver on the toad, also have an amber emergency flasher on top of the toad. I don't know about all states, but nothing can protrude more than 48 inches past the last lighting assemblies in Alabama. With the rig described above, nothing protrudes past the light assembly.