shapoe

Necessity of a Supplemental Braking System

We will soon receive our D/P with 10k towing capacity and plan to tow a small car 3,200 pounds.  The tow system is Blue Ox.  Do you recommend adding a supplemental braking system.  Thinking of Airforce One if necessary or its equivalent.  Should I try the D/P on a 2,000 trip without one first?

Although your DP can probably handle a 3,200 lb toad without supplemental brakes you should check your local towing laws before going without.  Personally, I wouldn't tow without supplemental brakes.  Supplemental brakes, with break away feature, will also stop the towed car in the event the car and coach gets separated.  Without, the car would hurtle along and possibly hit another vehicle.

Shapoe,  Welcome to the FMCA forum !

Blake mentioned - There would be no issues pulling the weight. The thing is some states require brakes on any towed trailer, car or truck over 1500 lbs need a braking system and 3000 lb requirement is more common.

Should you be involved in an accident, the fact that you do not have a supplemental braking system could become a nasty legal issue. You could quickly become liable !

So the owners need to decide what action to take prior to traveling.

Rich.

Welcome to the FMCA forum!!!

Take a look at the article and it will explain the reason for supplemental braking systems.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/why_brakes.html

And look at this one for a summary of towing laws by state.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws

As Rich stated, if you are not in compliance with the towing laws and have an accident, you could be held liable for damages and your insurnace could deny coverage.

3 hours ago, shapoe said:

We will soon receive our D/P with 10k towing capacity and plan to tow a small car 3,200 pounds.  The tow system is Blue Ox.  Do you recommend adding a supplemental braking system.  Thinking of Airforce One if necessary or its equivalent.  Should I try the D/P on a 2,000 trip without one first?

Welcome to the forum. I would not leave home without a supplemental braking system. Look at the link Imsooter posted. Even if your supplemental braking system only stopped you 10 feet shorter than without it. It is still better to stop short than 10 feet later, as in the car that stops suddenly in front of you.

The other points about liability are verrey valid.

Bill

I was in a rest area (Plaza on I80) in Indiana a couple of years ago doing a walk around before we continued on. An Indiana State Trooper (really nice guy btw) Walked over and asked if we had a supplemental system. I showed him the Brake Buddy and break away switch. He thanked me and we chatted a bit. He told me he has written people (ticket) up for no braking system. No brake may be legal where you live, but you will get a ticket if it is in a state where it is required.

I would not tow without a system.