antnee10@aol.com

Torque Specifications: W-22

Attempting to change rotors, pads and shock absorbers on 2003 W-22 workhorse chassis, but cannot find any torque specifications or wheel nuts, calipers or shock absorbers.

Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Thank you

antnee10@aol.com

antnee10, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The torque range for your chassis is listed as 450 to 500 Ft. lbs., but I think it would be a good idea to check with a workhorse repair shop to get it. Things kind of depend on the axle series.  that information will be VIN number sensitive.

For the proper torque specifications you looking for you need to know what wheel end components your chassis is equipped with. Then you can ask for the proper torque specs. that you are looking for.

MFS, MS and RS Series Wheel-End Components

Rich.

I'm not so sure I would go that route, coming out of that business most mechanic's don't torque anything besides intake manifolds and cylinder heads. Not knowing your skill level id bet you would be better off taking on the DIY project yourself, if you knew enough to ask for the torque specs you just might know more than the shop staff at CW. I would try to narrow down and locate the specs for your chassis and just do it.

2 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Rich,

450 to 500 foot pounds of torque?:huh:

I would like to see that Torque Wrench. :o

Herman

Here it is...this is the one I carry under my coach, yea, yea, yea, call me crazy :lol:

https://store.snapon.com/US-Torque-Instruments-ft-lb--Torque-Wrench-Adj-Click-Type-U-S-Fixed-Ratchet-120-600-ft-lb-3-4-drive-P640969.aspx

Kay, my hair stood up when I read that, all I could think was the posts with the aftermath. I feel like maybe they are not all bad....???

I would feel more comfortable with a local truck repair shop I cant help but think they would value every customer more than CW would, my #1 concern is how much experience does any shop have with workhorse chassis?

Joe, I have copies of a lot of the Workhorse  manuals, and they list the torque specifications. Thing is, they very by Axle's used, so without some information on what is used on each chassis it is difficult to supply proper numbers. They picture the location of VIN numbers and the axle information on the axle used, but one would need to look under every chassis to know what parts in some cases to order the correct parts.

An yes the listed lug torque on the web is way off from anything I have ever seen on much bigger trucks !

That is why I mentioned calling a shop that services The workhorse chassis and getting some good information on what set up in under the different frame's. OP decided to have CW do the work. In our area CW farmed out the chassis work to chassis repair centers.

The shop manuals list most of the information needed, but no list of what setup is for different "W" series chassis. So there is no cross reference chart in the section covering the repair of items by chassis series, just by axle designation. Can not figure out what Navstar was thinking other then limiting the repair competition.

Rich.

Rich, good to know and I figured you had it in you vast vault of information :). I still think it would be in his best interest to figure it out and handle on his own if he has the skill level to do so. If you haven't noticed I have trust issues with service technicians, coming from that line of work the stuff I have seen in the last 23 years has been more than scary. Just when you thought no one would ever do that to someone's vehicle along comes the next one and we all stand there in shock.