jleamont

Changing Tire Sizes, Pros vs. Cons

jleamont

Be sure to confirm you can use two aluminum wheels in dual. The mounting disk on aluminum wheels is much thicker than the steel wheel disk so you might find your studs are not long enough. Not saying they will not fit just be sure before you go to expense.

Thanks Tireman. I figured if they are not long enough a trip to the truck parts house should solve that with new studs. It looks like they will be ok, I have a fair amount of excess now.

Just replaced two front tires with (steer) Michelin XZA2 Energy  295 /80 R22.5 on WRV Alpine 34' (same axle weight numbers) - zero problem getting them

(plus no indication that there is ever a problem getting them because of checks with FMCA dealers plus other non-FMCA [like Les Schwab]

from Discount Tire (they don't do commercial, so was a cash and carry out) in Portland, OR area (Clackamus) for $571 + FET each.  FMCA Michelin Advantage Dealers

in Seattle area more than $200 more each plus a bunch of state sales tax.

One other thought - worried the idea of spare tire / rim for trip to Alaska 5 yrs ago (never needed it), so built a rack (telescoping tubing thru bolted for security) onto my trailer hitch stinger to prevent taking up cubby space (moved license + 3rd brake light to rack also since obscured by spare).  Easily remove-able when traveling in lower 48 where shops worth their salt will have a spare tire / rim for emergencies.

Carl,

I am just doing what should have been done at the factory!! Really it is just a house and every time one moves there are those things that haven't been done and should be. I hate problems on the road though equipped to make the repairs. I am very pro-active so better now than elsewhere. Besides I have the need to know how stuff fits, runs, where it is located and so forth. This is entertainment for me, it is what I did for forty years. Now I get to do my stuff and watch the looks on the faces such as you own when you look it over. Besides the comments are priceless, you know what it takes and how big the hassles can be.:angry:

Bill E  

Shultz.   Welcome to the Forum.

Superior Tire Service has a lot of locations in OR. and WA.  I think they have one in BC also.  I got mine at their Eugene, OR. shop FMCA Fleet in August 14'...6, 295's and 2, 315's.  Love no Sales Tax!

Carl

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:20 PM, rsbilledwards said:

Carl,

I am just doing what should have been done at the factory!! Really it is just a house and every time one moves there are those things that haven't been done and should be. I hate problems on the road though equipped to make the repairs. I am very pro-active so better now than elsewhere. Besides I have the need to know how stuff fits, runs, where it is located and so forth. This is entertainment for me, it is what I did for forty years. Now I get to do my stuff and watch the looks on the faces such as you own when you look it over. Besides the comments are priceless, you know what it takes and how big the hassles can be.:angry:

Bill E  

Bill, same here and when I see a miss I start to think how I can make it better.... helpful but sometimes not so good other times.

Does an RV installation have to pay FET on tires and why?

You can't avoid the Fed. Disposal Tax.  I had to pay $278, even though my best friend flew out to Portland, OR. rented a truck and got my old tires.

I was told that it is to help recover the cost of getting "Dumped" tires and disposing of them!  I don't believe that, I would think that burden would be on the municipalities and the State!

Just another tax!

I have always wondered about "Federal Excise Tax". Do we pay state and local taxes before or after F.E.T. ??? Are we paying Tax on Tax? Gotta pay it, Gotta hate it. Anyone up for dressing like an Indian and going to Boston? Might look funny but I bet we could have a hella of a good time>

Herman  

I deal with FET every day at work, but everything I have on it clearly states it only applies to the trucking industry, blah, blah, blah, moving freight for commercial gain yada, yada, yada, no mention of RV's falling into that pit :angry:. Just because we share common tire sizes doesn't mean I am using them for moving freight for profit. I tried to do a deeper research on FET on tires and who it applies to, couldn't find much that was definitive. I seriously believe it is assumed that only commercial vehicles have tires in these sizes, since that was all that was mentioned.

Carl, that's interesting, they are recycled now and they charge a whopping amount for the rubber chunks for play grounds and other stuff.

Herman, again, your response.......:lol: I'm up for it! Boston here we come :lol: