manholt

Blinking Touchpads

18 minutes ago, manholt said:

OK.  I have blinking touch pads again! :(  My batteries are good, set to AGM, currently on 50A shore.  Yes, the Tech is next door, but I need to know what to do when I'm the only tech around...this has been an on/off problem since I bought the coach in 2013.  The AC Factory Techs looked at it in pre-rally to Redmond, OR, 2014 and could not find anything!

Any one have a thought?

Carl

Carl, Your issue sure sounds like a data link connection issue ! The Key point is the Data cable connecting the ECM to the TCM. The cables are often exposed to the road elements and ANY corrosion in the connectors will cause corruption in the data. I posted some info of a possible fix here.

Rich.

29 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Just 1, go ahead and trade for the Newell at MoT.:P

Herman 

I second that!!:)

Recheck the battery voltages, make sure they didn't die while sitting there.

Herman.  Someone at the OK. rally, put a hold on it.  It's still under Pending...the other thing is that it has 8,300+ hours on the generator and it needs a complete over haul at 10,000 hours max.

I have been thru every coach there, and I have a height problem, I don't feel like stooping over to move around...remember, I'm close to 6' 8"!  There is only one there, that I may look at again...I'm in no rush.

Battery voltage is 12.9 at batteries...inverter/converter is doing it's job (both of them).

Rich, that is way beyond my feeble capabilities...I'll get the tech and look over his shoulder!  I do want to learn...

Joe, there is a Forum member here, he will send you a PM...give you something to wrap your brain around! :D 

Carl

Update:  Rich, your correct.  My (I think he said TCM), is located in the same bay as both 2,800 Magnum's along with all the stab in fuses and that bay is not weather proof.  From there, all the cables go to under my bed.  Since the welder had to disconnect all power in coach by removing the battery cables, the head Tech spread some kind off goop on the bus bar and connectors in bay,  I went food shopping.  When I came back, the power was back on coach and no more blinking touch pads! :)

Tech told me that he did not try to trace everything out, another $1K or more in labor, this temporary fix should last a while!  Here, they put all off that in the closet inside coach!  He read your answer and link.

Thank you for a very informative post !  :wub:

Carl 

Carl, the ProOne XPL101 is also an insulator. Get a can and keep it in the coach for stuff like that. Watch the video where the guy sprays an electrical extension cord, sticks it in a cup of water and puts his hand in the cup with it. He pulled that here I almost went running for the AED :blink:. I am one of the CPR certified staff, All I could think was OH...NO.....

Joe/ the product you mentioned in last post/ how is it used? Clean contacts on male/female connections and spray the plug after hooking it back up? If so, the stuff should be used in RV assembly! 

Some interesting post on this type of lubricant, but the item I listed is also conductive. Cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner, then applying a small amount to each pin or socket (What ever point is easier to perform the application to)isolates the connection from outside elements and increases the possible conductive path surface in each pin of the connection.

Rich.