hermanmullins

Cheyenne, Wyoming to Moscow, Iowa

Bobbie and I will be leaving Cheyenne for Moscow, Iowa to have HWH do some work on the coach. We will be going most of the way on I-80. We know about Cabela's in Sidney Nebraska and have been there.

Anyone got any ideas of other places to visit along the way? It is 766 mile from Cheyenne and we have several days to get there. Got any Ideas?

Herman

Herman, I just goggled Lincoln NE and found this;

I have never been out there and from what I see there is not much, looks like you will be passing through Lincoln NE.

Another thought, I am friends with the owner of Demco, want me to call him and see if you can have a plant tour? Its 200 miles off route. They build farm equipment and tow bars, trailer hitches in Iowa.

http://tractormuseum.unl.edu/

http://www.lincolnparks.org/what_we_do/tributes-memorials/sunken-gardens.html

Frank H Woods Telephone Museum; 2047 M St, Lincoln, NE 68510

Herman,

There is the museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska which is pretty spectacular. It is a ways out of the way North up 385 but a terrific drive back to the freeway entering again at Grand Island. Very likely a drive you have not taken before.

Bill Edwards

Joe,

Thanks for the offer on Demco. I will let you know what day we may be in the Lincoln area. If it is a working day I will call you and see if Frank might have time for a tour. I always love to visit manufacturing plants. I enjoy everything mechanical and to watch assembly lines.

Bill,

Thanks for the lead. However Chadron is a little to far out of the way. I will keep it in the ole gray matter for future visits to the area.

Thanks again to both of you. 

Herman

Herman,

Are you in Cheyenne for Frontier Days?  We went to the CBR event last night.  Then drove back to Laramie.

We leave Laramie tomorrow and thought we would head east on 80 and definitely stop at Cabela's first store in Sidney.

Blake

Once in Omaha we might visit the Strategic Air Command and Space Museum.  They have an SR-71 Blackbird on display.....I've never seen on in person.

26 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Joe,

Thanks for the offer on Demco. I will let you know what day we may be in the Lincoln area. If it is a working day I will call you and see if Frank might have time for a tour. I always love to visit manufacturing plants. I enjoy everything mechanical and to watch assembly lines.

Bill,

Thanks for the lead. However Chadron is a little to far out of the way. I will keep it in the ole gray matter for future visits to the area.

Thanks again to both of you. 

Herman

Herman, look up The Amana Colonies, It might be a day trip while they are working on your coach. We stayed at the RV park a couple weeks ago, amanarvpark.com, not great, but interesting area.

Blake, I like the RV park at Cabela's stayed there 2 years ago.  

The SR-71 Blackbird  is an amazing plane. I have worked on a couple of them when I was in the AF.

Bill

Bill,

At $30 less 10% the price is certainly right.  I guess they figure to make up the profit in the store!  They went to first come first serve but overflow can stay in the parking lot which is fine with us if we miss out.  Thanks for the tip!

I'm excited to see the Blackbird and have been intrigued with it since I was a youngster.  Not sure if it is true but I've heard that plane was much faster than it's advertised speed.

Blake

Blake, the SR-71 has more secrets then Bill and Hillary. The best way to describe it is "Now you see it, Now you don't".

I have seen one at the museum out in Arizona. When I toured the museum there I saw every plane I worked on when I was in the Navy.

Herman 

I can't say this often enough to you all that have served in our Armed Forces (Bill and Herman).  Deb and I have huge gratitude for your service and thank you very much for helping make America the greatest country on earth.

Blake

Blake.  POTUS say's it still is, but it may not be for long.  The SR-71, I have only seen it once in flight for maybe 2 seconds, then I heard it for a long time!

Herman. Nebraska is a very interesting State if you like flat, straight and corn fields...when they say "Texas goes on forever", they have us confused with Nebraska..:P:lol:

Nice thing about the Amish...to me they serve up some great food and baked goods !  Or was that Mennonites. I'm dizzy!  

4 minutes ago, Manholt said:

Blake.  POTUS say's it still is, but it may not be for long.  The SR-71, I have only seen it once in flight for maybe 2 seconds, then I heard it for a long time!

Herman. Nebraska is a very interesting State if you like flat, straight and corn fields...when they say "Texas goes on forever", they have us confused with Nebraska..:P:lol:

Nice thing about the Amish...to me they serve up some great food and baked goods !  Or was that Mennonites. I'm dizzy!  

Bring salt and pepper, they don't use it and cardboard isn't enjoyable to eat :D

The "Amanan's" are a different group not Amish or Mennonites. You will find it interesting the shops on the main tourist street close at 5:00 PM and the restaurants at about 7:00. There is still a big factory in one of the villages where they make Amana appliances.

The RV park is interesting as if you are the first it is a pull through if not it is a back in and you share the power pedestal. You could end up with only a 30 amp plug available and the utilities on the wrong side of the coach. :P

Is the SR-71 fast? well one time I was watching a launch on a clear day. I started timing from the moment he started to roll till he was out of sight, 55 seconds was all it took. You could hear him a lot longer but you couldn't see him. Yes I would say it was faster than advertised.;)

Bill 

OMG!  I can't believe that no one has mentioned that you will be driving right under The Archway in Kearney, NE.  http://archway.org/  If you have not stopped here you MUST stop here.  This is one of the best museum / historical / informational sites I have ever visited.  Here's a quick description stolen from their website.

Start at Ft. Kearny in the 1840s where the Oregon Trail converged with the Mormon Trail and California Trail. Here, you’ll immerse yourself in the sights of the historic trails while listening to the stories of the early pioneers. Next, hear the rumble of the Iron Horse on the transcontinental railroad as it passes overhead. Watch a Pony Express rider make a quick stop to change horses as he races to deliver mail across the country. Listen in as the first transcontinental telegraph transmits the news of the breakout of the Civil War to the West Coast. Finally, traverse the historic Lincoln Highway, catch the newsreel at the drive-in theater and take a break to check on the traffic below in the roadside diner. A perfect stop for a family vacation, this award-winning display can be viewed in under an hour.

Thanks Bill,

We have visited Kearney several times. Our daughter-in-law's mother lived there and we visited several times. We have thought adout there, thanks for the reminder.

Herman 

OK, but that means that a lot of folks who posted have never been there (and they should go!).  We drove past this amazing landmark 3 or 4 times saying we "really" need to stop next time.  Once we finally forced ourselves to stop (in the middle of nowhere) we were sold!  This is truly one of those "must stop" road side attractions offered in this amazing Country of ours.

On the SR-71, some were based in Atsugi, Japan circa. 1966-68. Leaving on surveillance they turned off all lights on the base prior to opening hanger doors, less than five minutes later back on and gone. Only thing you saw ( if lucky) was a long flame. Restricted viewing a long way away, basically were told to stay inside and out of sight.

There is one on a pedestal at the Air and space museum in Huntsville, Alabama just out of reach and another, one of the original Skunk Works planes in Birmingham, Alabama. Very special aircraft!!

Bill Edwards