speck

Fuel Economy

I just saw a 2008 Newmar Grand Star listed on a site.  While doing a little checking on it I learned that it was a front diesel.  In a YouTube video, it was stated that it had fuel economy of 10 to 14 mpg. 

Anyone got any comments pro or con?

What size engine? Length of coach?  The industry had them for some years, I think they where called UFO's...don't remember why they stopped making them!  Back in late 80's early 90'  Foretravel came out with a gas pusher...lousy mpg! 

Carl,

They were called FRED (aka FRont Engine Diesel)

FMC made a gas pusher back in the early 80's.  There were problems with cooling and dust intake. I may be mistaken about the time frame.

Herman 

Herman.  The FREDS always reminded me of UFO's...:lol:  FMC was a (to me) good looking, ahead off its time coach!  I'm thinking around 78'-80'...I wanted one...glad I did not !  Foretravel Grand Villa had one around 89' or 90'...same problems and also, they used the Oshkosh chassis that the DP model was on....slooow goo!...:P:blink: 

Speck, here are some links;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2008-newmar-grand-star-3750-a-159221.html

http://west-coast-chardonay.blogspot.com/2009/04/2008-newmar-grandstar-beware.html

I'm sure you will get negative feedback with most RV's now a days. Do yourself a favor and Google search it, read up from current owners of them and what they think about them. There seems to be a flood of low mileage used ones on the market which is suspicious to me. From what I read they were built on A freightliner chassis with a Cummins ISB engine which is a good start, what I do not know is how well it was all put together.

All, as usual thanks for the comments...

The coach was a 2008 Newmar, 38 ft w/3 slides. I believe the engine is a 340 Cummins ISB 6,7.  It is listed on PPL, is I can say that.  It just seemed to me that it was extremely good economy if it is true.  Has an interesting floor plan...kitchen right behind the driver and dinining behind passenger, with living area next in line, both sides.  In the YouTube video I saw the presenter did call it a FRED; the kitchen was mid-coach with the bath and then the bedroom.  The bath also had a hallway back to the bedroom (bypassing the  bath).  The living was up front, more of what I would call normal. 

jleamont; thanks for the links, I'll check them out.