rfsod48

Engine Monitor

I am considering adding an after market engine monitor. We have a 2005 Bounder with the Cat C7 diesel. Any suggestion on what to get and about instillation. 

Thanks,

Roland

Roland, The Scan D system works well and is not out of the world price wise, then there is the VMSpc system software from Silverleaf. A little more on the price side, but the software can be added to personal computer and allows one to monitor more of the system at the same time. A little like a glass dash displayed on the screen.

Both systems work well and the choose is what best fits your price and information requirements.

Rich.

Depends on where the coach maker put it/them.

We have one in front (dash area) and one back by the engine. The front one is about 2.5' from where I mounted the ScanGauge D.

Is the port usually separate from the monitor that comes with coach? I don't have my coach here to look.

The port it plugs into is the engine diagnostic plug supplied by the chassis maker/coach maker.

The plug (see link above) works with J1708 AND J1939 (basically just turn over the ScanGauge D plug).

9 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Is the port usually separate from the monitor that comes with coach? I don't have my coach here to look.

Roland, if you mean from the instrument cluster connection, Yes

You would use the service data port and it is separate from the dash display connection, located under the dash and a second connection is mounted in the engine compartment as mentioned by Brett !

Rich.

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I would add a good Exhaust Temperature Gage and a boost gauge if the scan gauge does not monitor boost.

Bill

Bill,

The ScanGauge D does monitor boost-- at least it is capable of monitoring it.  And on our 2003 Cummins ISL, it is monitored-- one of the 4 things I have it automatically set to monitor constantly.

I monitor: Boost, Instantaneous MPG, Coolant temperature and HP. Then, can change any one of these to scroll through the rest of the menu.

I have installed my scangauge and it works fine. Is the boost gage one of the Xgages that can be added or is it in the regular setup? I haven't Khadijah time to play with it yet.

7 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Bill,

The ScanGauge D does monitor boost-- at least it is capable of monitoring it.  And on our 2003 Cummins ISL, it is monitored-- one of the 4 things I have it automatically set to monitor constantly.

I monitor: Boost, Instantaneous MPG, Coolant temperature and HP. Then, can change any one of these to scroll through the rest of the menu.

I think EGT temps is one of the most important bits of information you need to monitor on a turbo charged diesel. I have a Banks IQ and have it set up to monitor EGT, boost, transmission temp and GPS corrected speed.:)

I am not sure I want to see the instant MPG This last trip west I spent a lot of time climbing (does yours show negative numbers) and I know the mileage was down.:P

Bill

This link will offer some insight regarding the exhaust temperature on a Diesel turbo powered engine and some thoughts regarding its importance.

http://www.dieselhub.com/performance/egt.html

Rich.

Kind of why My engine alternator location eats Alternators that typically have a top operating temperature of 275 Deg. F.

So I installed an Air pickup and diverted exterior ambient air directly to the alternator location.

40 minutes ago, Dickandlois said:

This link will offer some insight regarding the exhaust temperature on a Diesel turbo powered engine and some thoughts regarding its importance.

http://www.dieselhub.com/performance/egt.html

Rich.

Kind of why My engine alternator location eats Alternators that typically have a top operating temperature of 275 Deg. F.

So I installed an Air pickup and diverted exterior ambient air directly to the alternator location.

Good idea to give the alternator extra cooling.;)

That is a good link, hear is another one.

http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/25-Why-EGT-is-Important

I have found that you can get high EGT temps when not on a "big" hill. There have been several times on long slow grades when using the cruse control the computer will be adjusting boost and fuelling to maintain speed. This can drive the EGT past acceptable levels. Best option is to drop one or two gears to reduce load and that will control your EGT's.

Bill

Totally agree that an EGT gauge is important, IF, repeat IF the engine is no longer stock.  With a modern diesel engine in stock form, it is a non issue.  Ya, if you add additional fuel and air, you CAN make the exhaust hotter than it was designed for.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Totally agree that an EGT gauge is important, IF, repeat IF the engine is no longer stock.  With a modern diesel engine in stock form, it is a non issue.  Ya, if you add additional fuel and air, you CAN make the exhaust hotter than it was designed for.

You can have high EGT on a totally stock engine. If you don't have a EGT gauge you can be doing damage and not knowing it. The important thing is to know so you can take measures to reduce it either backing off on the throttle or dropping a gear to reduce load.

Bill

I am certainly not arguing against installing an EGT gauge.  But suggesting it is not mandatory unless an engine has been modified and/or a guy really doesn't know how to drive a diesel. 

18 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

I am certainly not arguing against installing an EGT gauge.  But suggesting it is not mandatory unless an engine has been modified and/or a guy really doesn't know how to drive a diesel. 

How many people do you know that really understand how to drive a diesel? Especially newbies. I think a good EGT gage is required to properly drive a diesel. I have heard that old wives tale about you can't get high EGT temps in a unmodified engine before and it is easy to disprove, just install a good EGT gage.:D

Bill 

Brett and Bill,

If I understand correctly, the biggest issue with overheating is in climbing hills and not being in the correct gear to maintain correct rpm or higher rpm to increase cooling fan speed. My engine is unmodified. The scan gauge seen to not read EGT if I read their web site correct. Anything else that needs attention?

Roland

2 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Brett and Bill,

If I understand correctly, the biggest issue with overheating is in climbing hills and not being in the correct gear to maintain correct rpm or higher rpm to increase cooling fan speed. My engine is unmodified. The scan gauge seen to not read EGT if I read their web site correct. Anything else that needs attention?

Roland

Roland, You are correct that keeping RPM up will aid in cooling. The real culprit is when you reach a point where the the engine is under enough load that it can't accelerate or maintain speed. This is what was called lugging the engine. This is the condition that drives EGT temps higher than normal. 

Bill

It depends on your gearing. I can run 60 in 4th gear I could probably run 65 with out getting over 2500 rpm. probably more like 2250 You're gearing should be close to what I have. With a good EGT gauge you only need to reduce the load enough to lower the temps to an acceptable level. This also helps keep engine water temperatures down.

Bill