rfsod48

Engine Monitor

43 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Bill, 

I have a cat c7 engine, the scan gauge does monitor engine loading. Does this relate to EGT?

Well indirectly, as engine loading is a component of what can drive high EGT temperatures. I would recommend reading the articles that were linked earlier. They can explain it better than I can. The only good way to tell what your EGT temps are is from a probe installed before the turbo. 

Bill

6 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Would that be the air intake temperature?

That would be a different sensor. The EGT (exhaust gas temperature) probe is on the exhaust side before the turbo.

Bill

I am on the fence with this post. I agree with points everyone brought up and disagree with others. I do agree that monitoring EGT is a great idea, who wants to damage their engine. I will say from experience....only a few times I have ever seen a stock engine over EG temp, usually takes another reason/contributor to achieve this. One was a defective Variable Vane Turbocharger, left me scratching my head. Another time the truck was grossly overloaded pulling a hill (pulling 2x over the max rating), the final time was a loaded heavy manual transmission vehicle and the driver didn't down shift, just mashed the pedal to the floor, this one was on the border of to hot but not in the red.

Lets talk stock RV, in my opinion the to hot EGT's are a contributing factor to cracked exhaust manifolds, that and a lack of air circulation in the DP engine compartment. My coach loves to lug itself down on a hill, I manually downshift it every time, trying to save the manifold from the inevitable crack. Do I think a stock, running properly maintained RV could over temp, NO, it will get to hot for my comfort, anything over 1100 degrees is too hot for me.

Modified diesel, different animal, they will get very hot very quick! I have modified many Diesel trucks for on road and off road performance, towing and pulling. Stock truck with my heavy foot couldn't get one hot enough to be a concern with an automatic transmission.

Bill, still haven't connected mine yet, I've been busy building a MAXXFORCE 7 for a customer that came apart. EGR cooler failed bent two rods and flipped one piston sideways in the cylinder, no block damage, which is odd considering it is a 2 piece engine block :wacko:.

Since I have a stock engine, no EGT sensor, what would be the best to monitor on main screen? Coolant temp., transmission temp.?

10 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Since I have a stock engine, no EGT sensor, what would be the best to monitor on main screen? Coolant temp., transmission temp.?

As I posted above, here is what I monitor:

I monitor: Boost, Instantaneous MPG, Coolant temperature and HP.

If there was any question about voltage, would monitor that instead of HP.

Transmission temperature (assuming Allison 3000 or 4000 series) should really be a non-issue, particularly if running Transynd (synthetic ATF). The torque converter is locked up in "high" second, always in all higher gears.  So only time you can really build heat is if you leave it in gear while stopped (best to put it in Neutral) or if transmission is hunting between gears (just down arrow to the lower gear). 

Yes, since transmission coolers are usually located in the engine radiator, high engine temperature does raise transmission temperatures, but certainly not to dangerous levels.

I monitor.  Coolant, oil, exhaust # 1 & 2 temps, also turbo boost and mpg.  If I really want to know what temp EGT is, I take my shoes off after driving and go into bedroom, sometimes after pulling a lot of mountain hills...ouch ! Normally, no problem.  Just don't do that if your in regeneration mode...it will hurt.  1,200 + on both exhausts!  Wish I had a pre 07' engine!

Carl

50 minutes ago, Manholt said:

If I really want to know what temp EGT is, I take my shoes off after driving and go into bedroom,

:lol: