erniee

If Your Entry Looks Yuk

Ernie, since you are the Blue Bird enthusiast I am curious..... and you are probably the only one that can help me understand. Why the bulk oil filter and the oil cooled alternator? The reason I ask is I am surrounded by Detroit power at work Series 50's, Series 60's, DD11 and DD13 (different application) but none the less. It would appear to me that these were Blue Bird designs and I was curious as to why? First instinct tells me lack of air circulation which is understandable.

Rich could use that alternator design on his to help with the overheating problems he has faced and overcome. 

Just curious.

Thank you

The bulk oil filler is a device that uses the tank, a dial and a small pump. I guess Bluebird didn't want the owners to get dirty adding oil to the engine. All 4 of my Bluebirds had this feature. If you need to add a quart of oil, you move the pointer on the dial, turn the unit on and wait till it dispenses the oil.

The 300 amp alternator is so large that it could not cool itself enough with just the small fins so they used oil.

Bluebird, back in the day was all about redundancy- extra systems added to the coach- and the price was reflected in all the extra goodies you could add. Each coach was custom made- no 2 coaches were the same.

How many batteries are on that unit? 300 amps is a lot! Our tractors at work are 160 with 4, 31 group batteries. Sure hope that lasts long, sounds expensive.

Ernie, my star treads are starting to lift. and the carpet in the stair well is not bad, but I was thinking about replacing it with something else, jut not sure. My stairs have the same product Ray posted on this thread. The toe kick going up is a mirror, the sides are carpet.

Any ideas and how does the tread apply, what type of glue? Oh and the top step is also a compartment with hinges on ours, will that matter?

Erniee, reach out to Kaypsmith, he lives only a short distance, could probably give you the phone number. He and I drove past it back in August while I was down there, looked nice, but hard to tell from the distance.

Ernie, I stopped at the lot where the the BB is located yesterday, took pictures, and inquired. It is '95 year model, very well kept, but aged well. I will pm you tonight the pics, and specifics. I didn't think that you are interested in another one, but will have the info for a friend. Yes the place is on I-20/I-59 south/west of the I-459 j'ctn 7 miles, as Carl said south/west of B'ham.

There is one for sale at Lazydays rv in FL. Wanderlodge 43'.  Google LD and click on used class A, then click on make, you'll find it !

Carl