Sign in to follow this  
RKSPAS

Travel& Prescriptions

In the past few years, the U.S. Government has cracked down harshly on prescriptions containing controlled substances like morphine & Hydrocodone. We used to be able to acquire advance scripts from our doctors & then fill them wherever we were.

Now we have to pick scripts up monthly & then have them filled at our local pharmacy, AND NOT ONE DAY EARLY! Our daughter is stuck with this job monthly & then mails them to us wherever we are; pharmacies can NO LONGER mail controlled substances. Often we have to ration while waiting for mail delivery.

In past years we have been pretty much stationary at one park for months at a time, but now we are planning extensive trips to various parts of the country, which will provide some prescription predicaments. 

Our doctors & pharmacy don't have any answers for us, so we wonder if anyone might have some suggestions to improve upon this predicament we, and I'm sure many others have. Thanks in advance, everyone!!

I would ask a national chain like Walgreens or Walmart, if the prescription is on file with them and it can be verified, then you should not have a problem in getting your meds when needed as you travel.

Carl

1 hour ago, Manholt said:

I would ask a national chain like Walgreens or Walmart, if the prescription is on file with them and it can be verified, then you should not have a problem in getting your meds when needed as you travel.

Carl

Carl: The same with all Nat'l chains. New Fed laws have all pharmacies following the same difficult rules; rules to cut down on abuse, which is good, but it is hurting the innocent needy patients who have no intentions of abusing.

rk,

Check with the major pharmacies and ask if they will except a prescription by fax from your Dr. If so when you need a renewal just find the local pharmacy and get their fax # and call it to your Dr.

Herman 

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

rk,

Check with the major pharmacies and ask if they will except a prescription by fax from your Dr. If so when you need a renewal just find the local pharmacy and get their fax # and call it to your Dr.

Herman 

Herman: Pharmacies will accept faxes for regular prescriptions, but not for any containing a narcotic. Must be directly from Doctor and hand delivered by the patient to the pharmacy.

Hoping no one thinks I'm a "know it all" , but we've been down many of the avenues already, trying different angles to circumvent Uncle Sam's long list of rules. The medical clinics don't like it at all as they are being closely monitored, and are subject to fines and/or prosecution for over-prescribing. Plus their Gov't paperwork load is gigantic! We don't intend to break the law, just hoping for an angle to make things more convenient as we travel.

Sorry for your predicament...I don't take any Rx, occasional Advil.  That's all.  Had a Doctor tell me at my last physical, every Feb., that if I quite smoking, I would live longer!  I'll be 74 in Feb.  My plan now, is to out live him and he's 47! :lol: 

I'm out off ideas!  Last thought, why can't the nurse at Doctors office mail the monthly scripts to you?  Just call a week in advance, let her know where your at and give the  address to RV park!

Nix Nix on the clinic mailing RX to us either; another violation of Federal law. MUST be picked up at the doctor's clinic ONLY, then hand delivered to the pharmacy.

We are fresh out of ideas, too, but really appreciate all suggestions. Thanks, Carl !

For ordinary prescriptions there are solutions but I have no experience with controlled narcotics.  When you get this worked out, please return to this discussion and let us know what finally worked for you.  Those of us who travel extensively face quite a list of challenges when taking on the rules and conventions that assume a stationary existence.  Sharing your success will help all of us in the long run.

This is a Rx area that because some states have passed legislation allowing its use for those who qualify and the Federal level setting on there hands, with no idea of where to go regarding the medical information that tends to point to use's that defiantly helps individuals young and old. All states except drivers license's from other states, so maybe a note on each license or state ID for non drivers could be used and quickly verified through the national DMV data base. 

I know this is a political area, so I'm trying to walk softly. Any one of us could be caught in this circle. 

Rich.