kurtsue

Dometic Penguin II Heat Pump

Hi all again, well I just finished changing out my old Dometic 13,500BTU with a new Dometic Penguin II heat pump. All went well till I powered up the unit. The unit has power to it and so does the multi zone module with the new CCC2 T-stat.

All have power. when I flip the breaker on , the unit starts and blows hot air like the heat pump is on. The unit will not turn off when the T-stat is set to off. I went up on the roof and checked the freon lines and one is cold and one is warm and the compressor is running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:unsure:

The fact that you have one hot and one cold line at the AC compressor indicates the the AC system loop is working.

First though is that the low voltage control system wiring or control system is not connected correctly or something is not right with the control system.

What model and year coach do you have? What is the make of the temperature control system?

Rich.

Hi there thanks for the reply.

We have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador with two 13,500 BTU heat pumps on the roof. 2 weeks ago the front unit compressor locked up so I installed a new Penguin II 15,000BTU on the front. The back unit is completely out of the loop.

I installed a multizone module to the unit so when we get another new unit for the rear I can just plug the phone cord into the module to control the rear unit. Both the T-stat and the multizone module are Dometic components.

All I get is heat when I flip the breaker.  

Kurt

We had friends who had their AC/Heat Pump unit replaced several years ago.  Professional job, reversed two of the control wires.  It must be easy to do that so I would start by double checking the control connections, end to end.  If the unit is functioning (heating in this case) and not responding to the thermostat, that also seems to be a control issue.

13 hours ago, kurtsue said:

Hi there thanks for the reply.

We have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador with two 13,500 BTU heat pumps on the roof. 2 weeks ago the front unit compressor locked up so I installed a new Penguin II 15,000BTU on the front. The back unit is completely out of the loop.

I installed a multizone module to the unit so when we get another new unit for the rear I can just plug the phone cord into the module to control the rear unit. Both the T-stat and the multizone module are Dometic components.

All I get is heat when I flip the breaker.  

Kurt

The fact that they are setup to be controlled by phone type cable(4wire type plug?) There is a good possibility that there is a pair of wires that are reversed. I have not studied the wiring for this type of setup. Are there any specifications regarding the use of OEM specific type cables?

You might need to go through the setups.

ELECTRONIC CONTROL CONFIGURATION
Depending on the equipment options installed by the recreational vehicle manufacturer, the appropriate dip switches will need to be switched to the "ON" position. See Fig. 20. Placing the switch in the "ON" position selects that option.

Note: Dip switches are in the "OFF" position when shipped from the factory.

Rich.

Rich.

One thing I haven't noticed from anyone is the thermostat . I have an 03 Dutch Star and just changed to the heat pump system . I had to change to a 10 button thermostat ( Black) required for the new heat pump AC's also the dip switches were needed to be set on the control board #3 from the bottom was the furnace and #4 was for the heat pump switch everything worked fine after that . Don't know if that will help but just my 2 cents worth 

Michael

Hi all, I would like to thank all that replied to this topic. With the help from another blog rv'er  we solved this mystery. I was going way overboard on this installation. When I removed the old Dometic unit it had a control unit in the ceiling where the return filter is located. I figured I would need a new control unit with the new heat pump system, wrong. Since there were no installation instructions included, I had no idea that the Penguin II units have a control board built in up top on the roof. I disconnected the new control board in the return air down in the coach and wired the unit to the control board on the roof. It has six wires, red and black for the 12VDC, two blue that go to the furnace thermostat wires and 2 yellow that go to the Energy Management For power shed and that is it. I wired her up with the new CCC2 thermostat and flipped the breaker on. Guess what, we have cold air. All is well in the kingdom. A great learning experience!

Thanks for the update!  I'll keep that in mind, our units are now 13 years in service.  They are still working fine but I know the day is coming!

I have a 2005 kountry star Newmar, I understand or was told that newmare has a special mounting pattern for there rooftop  the model # is 630515 for this heat pump. what penguin heat pump  would work for me. And would I need to buy anything else for insulation. thank you