kaypsmith

Why Torque Lug Nuts

Interesting since many tire shops that I have encountered have no torque wrench!  I've even encountered shops that have a torque wrench where the tech had no idea how a torque wrench works.

34 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

Interesting since many tire shops that I have encountered have no torque wrench!  I've even encountered shops that have a torque wrench where the tech had no idea how a torque wrench works.

You can say that again. When I had my tires installed on the CR-V at a big Michelin truck shop they were going to run the lug nuts with the same inch drive impact they use on the trucks. I stopped him and told him they only torqued to 80 ft pounds. They had to go find a small torque wrench.:rolleyes:

Bill

As the MCI link said, this is the way to do it...unfortunately, that's not what's going to happen 90% of the time! :( 

Carl

About 99% of us drive in and ask for new tires then go sit in the waiting room.  No telling what is going on behind the scenes.

A month or so ago I took our coach in to have the valve stem replaced (slow leak) on the passenger side inner dual. They couldn't get the nuts off. Ended up breaking them off and having to replace all six. Budd wheels so parts not everywhere.

When I bought new tires--there-- they apparently didn't use a torque wrench. Guess who paid for the parts & labor? NOT US!! But it was inconvenient for us.

When they put everything back together guess what got used?? A nice BIG torque wrench!!! 450 foot pounds of torque.

No way would I have missed seeing the torque wrench before. We stay with or in our coach every time.

Did observe the manager giving "instructions" to the two mechanics about using the torque wrench. Just glad it wasn't me!!

Imagine what we would have had to go thru if the "stuck" and then broken lug studs had occurred while on the road!!

Thanks...I have a vivid imagination in color!  Just the thing I needed this am...:lol:

Wayne. Last time I changed all 8 tires in 14, I walked around and they used a torque wrench, took longer and about an hour of labor, but I felt real good when I rolled out !  :wub: I will definitely go all the way to OR. again and use Superior Tire.

Carl  

We have a procedure at work after many wheels were coming off while driving. Every tractor and truck get a PM 4 times per year. Trailers 2 times per year. At each PM our technicians are required to loosen every other lug, place the drop of oil on the attached washer, reinstall and torque. All the while they are to look at the condition of the stud and nut.

All of the torque wrenches are shop owned, they get calibrated 2x per year, we keep extra wrenches that are used to rotate so we are never without. 

The proper installation and inspection of your wheels and fasteners is critical but often overlooked, mostly in part due to lack of training and understanding how serious the process is. 

We have a few links active on what happens when you get a flat tire and how to respond, can you imagine if a steer wheel and tire come off while driving? I'd take the flat anyday over that!