Chickadee

GOLD! In Them Thar Hills!

G'morning, ALL FMCAers!

Well, here we are hunkered down for winter near Tampa, FL. Been poking around on the computer and kinda gettin' into various gold panning info sites. On our visit to Alaska in '07, we kinda got a little hooked on recreational gold panning ... it's a HOOT!

Anyway, prior to going full-time, I'd occasionally watch those T.V. shows about gold panning clubs, etc., but never been much for joining. So I was wondering whether there are other "closet" sourdough gold panners out there who do a little prospecting here and there?

Although were over here in Florida (where our sone and family live), we much prefer to travel throughout the western states, Canada, and, of course, ALASKA! I do know there's some panning activity in places like the N. Georgia Mountains, but it's just not the same somehow as squattin' by some stream "out West" or points North.

Are there ANY other novice panners here on this FMCA site who might want to share some stories about panning experiences you've had?

Steve and Lynette

Hello guys, I am a ameture gold panner. I bought a simple gold pan and sluice box here in colorado and have been prospecting as a hobby. Lots of fun and if you go and get some of the old mine tailing you can further pan them and usually get some gold dust out of them. The old timers from the 1800's did not get it all and sure did not have the equirpment available to us today.

I also have ventured into some of the old abanonded mines, (definately do not recommend this as it is very dangerous). I am continually looking for new places to pan and recenlty found that you can stake a gold mining claim farely easily here in Colorado.

Check out the GPAA at http://www.goldprospectors.org/ I've had a membership with them for years, great source for info, activities, products, and they have private areas around the country available for members to prospect. Texas doesn't have any public lands so I don't get much time in the field. One of the things I picked up on from GPAA mags was to get a good metal detector to use for nugget shooting especially around mine tailings. Like was previously stated they didn't have this technology in the old days...no telling what may have been missed in the rock from days of old, it's always fun looking and a lot cheaper than playing the lottery. I've had my RV less than a year, and haven't made it back out to AZ or NV since, but my pan and detector stay in the minnie-winnie just in case! Now that I'm self contained I can't wait to get out West in public lands around some old mines until then I'll keep honing my skills on the Texas beaches sorting pop tops from coins looking for that washed up Spanish dubloon :rolleyes:

You might investigate North Carolina for gold panning. I have been told that NC was the largest gold producing state in the union until 1849 when gold was discovered in California. Understand, I have not looked for gold here in Nc but there are a lot of public lands here and I have heard of people that ''prospect'' and find gold dust here. Just out of High Point, NC there was a gold processing mill that crushed the rock and exteacted the gold using chemicals. It is now a classic resturant. In NC there are places named Gold hill, and Goldsboro where there were shaft mines dug and gold extracted. My father told me of a farmer that could walk his plowed fields after a hard rain and pick up small nuggets. There is also Reed Gold Mine here in the state where a kid found a very large nugget that weighed several pounds. The family used it for a door stop for years before they sold it at the general store for a few dollars. FYI if you go back to Alaska there are lots of public places you can dip a pan and keep what you find. Gold panning is addictive. There is nothing like finding ''color'' in the bottom of a gold pan and at over a grand an ounce now it could be worth your time...... I panned in Alaska.

Seajay the sailor man

We love to get out our pans, sit in the water and pan! Have we found much gold.........no? But I would do it every day if I could. Have sat in streams in Colorado and watched many animals come around to drink, birds, etc. and just enjoy nature. I have a rock problem, keep finding beautiful ones and it is so much fun to try to look at book pictures and figure out what you found. Same enjoyment in Arizona but in the desert and dust, not quite as pleasant. We are GPAA members and to GPAA claims there in Arizona but very little gold, again more interesting rocks. Hopefully we will find a meteorite there, more valuable. The desert just isn't as enjoyable to us as the mountains.

We went to Happy Camp Calif. last summer and joined the 49rs gold club. There was gold there.......actually found some, then Spouse got ill and we had to leave. Would go back again, but it is 2,340 miles (according to Google) from our house here in South Central Texas.

Both of us have GARRET METAL DETECTORS which really are good, but you really have to practice with them and learn what they are telling you. Mostly we find junk, Spouse is proud of the square nail he found. He did find a "spec" of gold in a quartz rock about 10 inches deep with his Garrett. The metal detectors are the best exercise, I have walked all round mountains in Colorado that I would not have done had not had the detector.

If our health and money are ok. we are hoping to go to Alaska this summer and pan around the Chicken area.

SIL is a member of a Gold Mining Club?

He has access to many paces they own around the Country. I have seen one small vial of gold he has sluced and panned. He hasn't gotten rich thus far but the hicking and camping, and mining  must be fun. He's back near Seattle and mines north of there in the Cascades.

Look on the Internet for Mining Clubs etc. perhaps.