ralphs

Windshield Wipers Failing

Hi again folks, Ralphs here with an item we haven't heard much about, windshield wipers!

On our trip home to MD from Montana we visited the UP of Michigan and enjoyed it a lot.  As we left and traveled over the Mack bridge we ran into a very heavy wind and rain event, which caused the driver side wiper to depart the coach as it moved all the way to the left and wobbled violently.

An examination after the rain stopped showed the blade had ripped off the attachment on the rubber. With no spare left I resorted to Wal Mart and found a great replacement, a Michelin made 28 inch blade which fit the mounting just right and works far better than the $25.00 a piece original blade.  The replacement cost just $11.00.  I replaced the right side blade, and now carry two additional spares.

Thanks to "ralphs" for bringing up a pet peeve..... the unreasonable prices of OEM equipment, when off-the-shelf products are perfectly suitable and half the price.  Windshield wiper blades are a perfect example.  I carry a spare set of wiper blades (happen to be Michelins) in the coach, install them every spring, and buy another set as spares.

7 hours ago, ravert123 said:

I have 32" blades and could not find them at Walmart. On Amazon they are $40 a piece. Also I have not found the J hook adaptor. 

Michael

Here is one source for them. I did see some on Amazon but they were $10.00. It is Partnumber 48-17 by Amco.  

https://www.finditparts.com/products/2479194/federal-mogul-anco-48-17?srcid=CHL01SCL010-Npla-Dmdt-Gusa-Svbr-Mmuu-K2479194&gclid=CjwKEAiA1ITCBRDO-oLA-q_n8xYSJADjBQfGNxTgZjei3hA2VBiX1WT9artCZWPQeHMJ-NUN4lyOkxoCzGfw_wcB

I now can use any wiper blade that uses the J hook connection. 28 inch wiper blades will work till you find longer. In reality they are only 2 in shorter on each end. 

Bill

Bill, thanks for the tip!! never a fan spending $60 for wiper blades. Now I've got to do some research and see what single beam blades are available in 36"

You might be surprised how well 28" wiper blades work. The last time I was in Alvarado at the REV group factory repair center I had them look up what wiper blades I was supposed to use. I was a little shocked when they said 26". I am using the 28" ones and it does a good job.

I must be bored, as I went to  the PPL Motorhomes site and looked in parts for your wiper blades and it came up with a 28" blade.;)

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-covers/truvision-class-a.htm

Bill

12 hours ago, ravert123 said:

I have 32" blades and could not find them at Walmart. On Amazon they are $40 a piece. Also I have not found the J hook adaptor. 

Michael

I found 28 inch blades at Walmart for $3.88 each.  They seem to work fine, just went 1900 miles last week.

18 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You might be surprised how well 28" wiper blades work. The last time I was in Alvarado at the REV group factory repair center I had them look up what wiper blades I was supposed to use. I was a little shocked when they said 26". I am using the 28" ones and it does a good job.

I must be bored, as I went to  the PPL Motorhomes site and looked in parts for your wiper blades and it came up with a 28" blade.;)

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-covers/truvision-class-a.htm

Bill

Ha, how about that!! Wonder why it's got these 36" on it that cost so much $$$$.

Thank you

3 minutes ago, desertdeals690 said:

I found 28 inch blades at Walmart for $3.88 each.  They seem to work fine, just went 1900 miles last week.

It dosen't count unless it rained the whole way.:P

Bill

We are all human. The only time wiper blade becomes an issue is when it begins to rain while traveling. So my suggestion would be to put on new blades that fit, buy a quality blade and at the same time buy an extra set for that "Just in Case".

The DW get on to me because I carry too many clothes, for Hot and Cold. I have extra wiper blades, I have a complete set of fuel filters and both "V" and serpentine belts. Just an ole' Boy Scout. Be Prepared.

Herman 

12 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

It dosen't count unless it rained the whole way.:P

Bill

I prefer not to drive in rain, and yes it did not rain all the way.  They still worked fine, for how long who knows.

1 hour ago, desertdeals690 said:

I prefer not to drive in rain, and yes it did not rain all the way.  They still worked fine, for how long who knows.

Yes but at the price you payed it won't hurt to replace them. I bought the better blades at $9.99 at Waley world, they look just like the ones Camping world wants $60.00 on sale.

Bill

A good place to buy wiper if in the midwest is the home center chain, Menards. They handle Bosch and Rainex brands. I bought the Rainex Lattitude as it is a single beam very streamlined and less likely to hold ice and snow. The 28 inch blades were cross drilled and I used the existing screw. I have no connection to the merchant or Rainex. Those that dont treat their glass with the rainex treatment are really missing out on some amazing technology, wipers dont really need to be run unless you are stopped or in a cloud burst, that being said I usually do run mine.