hayesfamily

Strange But Possible

There are some things that are strange but very possible. This is one for the books. 

I just left the cemetery and I am in the casket coach thinking about lunch where I can pull over and not scare the hoot out of everyone in the parking lot. As I am stopped at a red light I saw this guys standing in front of his pretty Phaeton (I think that's correct) DP and we got to talking. I pulled into his driveway because he mentioned Baltimore, Cops, and Pulled over within 3 seconds. 

Now that I am intrigued I probed him to find out some details - and what he said shocked me because it never made sense so I am hoping someone here can explain. 

He said he was coming across the Susquehanna River on I95 coming from Atlantic City (Traveling South). He gets pulled by who I would assume was MSP but he said it was the DOT. Apparently they were pulled anything that appeared to be Diesel (Problem 1 with the story) and doing some type of general inspection (Problem 2) Then he said they stuck his tank and it came back red so they gave him a HUGE ticket and threatened to arrest him. (Problem 3) Claimed he didn't know and the filler station had the wrong fuel. 

1. So, obviously he was doing SOMETHING stupid to get pulled, so I thought; but lets give him the benefit of the doubt here. He did nothing just got pulled in a random. 

2. This one puzzles me because if he isn't commercial why the inspection? Has anyone else been pulled for a "General Inspection" because to me "General Anything" is time for a lawyer phone call cause ya fishing.

3. THERE IS NO WAY he didn't know that he put Off Road Diesel in his tank. You know if you got fuel from a truck stop or gas station or your homeboys heating oil tank or his construction site. 

ANYONE ever heard of something like this happening cause I felt so bad for the fella I got out and gave him a hardy handshake and a hug.

Who has this kinda luck. 

Signed: Puzzled Keon

I got pulled over in Ri once in a bucket truck fo a fuel check yes I had off road fuel and he thought he had me till I showed him the paperwork exempting us Amtrak is tax exempt and I was legal. Guess it was a slow day and they were trolling for something to do.

This is the one that I have warned about in many posts, the DOT has the right to pull anything on wheels over for an inspection at anytime that they wish to do so, and in any state. Such a shame that this happened to anyone that is not guilty of charges leveled against them, but it is the responsibility of the driver to be aware of laws that exist, and follow them to the best of their knowledge. Yes I have heard of these random checks which brings to mind an incident when I lived in Florida. My two daughters one 14, the other 5 at the time, went to Alabama to purchase a large Collie dog, beautiful animal. We were traveling in a cargo van that I used for work back then, it was not customary then for this type van to stop for ag., or weigh stations. One of the workers at the ag station decided to chase me down and proceeded to chew me out. He demanded that I open the rear doors and display my cargo, it was after sunset sp he shined his bright flashlight into the van, all that was there was empty space, and three sets of eyes. He bid me good night and told me in the future that I needed to stop at his station.

Keon, I am with you there should be no way you don't know you are filling up with RED. There maybe some that dumb that they don't know but  it is pretty hard to miss the signage at the pumps I have seen at truck stops. It is possible he just thought he would get by buying the cheapest diesel at the pump.^_^

Bill

Bill I did not even know that they sold off road diesel at the pump like that. I was under the impression that you had to have the truck bring it to your personal phone or your personal tank on a construction site or something like that.

What puzzled me was how he was pulled over anyway. I know that they stick tanks of commercial vehicles but what did he do to give the dot reason to even pull him much less stick his gas tank

I have seen it in several states. The Town Pump - Flying J Travel Center just west of Missoula, MT has 4 different diesel products on each pump. Red number 2, 50/50 biodiesel, winter number 1 and plain old number 2. 

That is the first time I have heard of a RV geting tested.

Bill

7 minutes ago, Jrock said:

I would guess in a farming area where farm equip is common off road would be available 

Truckers use it in their reefer units to.

Bill

Yea I always say there is a first for everything. Poor fella ...

P.S. I still say he knew better than to put that number 2 Red stuff in his tank. It would be the equivalent of me mistakenly putting kerosene in my car. They are just some things that you pay attention to and you know better

As Bill said...cheaper!  No brainer, he knew.  As for DOT, I have been in their "Spot Check" line for tires, several times on I-10 in Texas....glad they do it.  If they wanted to check my diesel, have at it.  I'm only surprised it never happened to me, when it was $4.85 a gallon or more! :D

Kay. :lol:

Carl

Keon, according to the MD website any vehicle over 10,000lbs is required to stop at the check point before the bridge, not just commercial. I never have although, I did think about it once to see if they could weigh my coaches 4 corners....but I figured that wouldn't end well so I kept driving past :D.

In VA along RT13 I have seen many travel trailers (with both hitches...King Pin and Ball) stopped by DOT. They target the trucks that appear commercial (name on the door, ladder rack....etc.....). Not sure if you are aware but that can get sticky, especially if its registered to a business then you'd better have a medical card, no alcohol, etc....etc....I have driven past in the coach and they don't even look my way.

Off road fuel is available up here but you would have to be crazy to put it in, the tax savings isn't worth the risk! The place I buy fuel has it and its usually only 15 cents a gallon cheaper. My coach before and now has a clear bowl for the primary fuel filter, you wouldn't have to dip my tank to check, just look at the filter, it would be very obvious if in my tank.

I had a customer once that got nailed for it because of a slight trace of it. The fine was $100.00 per gallon in the truck. They came to his shop and tested his storage tank and the fleet :blink:. The tank he bought from a farmer and it too had a trace of off road fuel (hard to get rid of the trace) and they were going to fine him for that as well. He convinced them he bought the tank that way (he had a receipt for the tank) they drove to the farm where the tank was purchased and they made the farmer sign a document stating that it was in fact his tank and it was used for off road farm equipment before and that is why the trace. In my coach that would be a $13,000 fine NO THANKS.

What makes it worse they don't catch many and when they do OOO BOY they have an o######. Not even worth thinking about.

I carry 150 gallons...no I have never even thought about using any fuel out off the 10...300 gallon bladders at the ranch!  I don't have STUPID on my forehead.

It is truly amazing to me that they can't perfect an adhesive to hold the tiles on the Space Shuttle but can make plastic packaging that can't be opened short of using a chain saw and red dye in diesel the will stain steel for a lifetime. ?

Herman 

15 hours ago, jleamont said:

Keon, according to the MD website any vehicle over 10,001lbs is required to stop at the check point before the bridge, not just commercial. I never have although, I did think about it once to see if they could weigh my coaches 4 corners....but I figured that wouldn't end well so I kept driving past :D.

Interesting you point that out because I am going to show you where Maryland contradicts itself and causes many people undo issues and wasted time. I dont mean to sound like a jerk about this and Ill explain my frustration and why in a second. There is a Key word here I want to point out that keeps appearing in all the material I have read thus far - COMMERCIAL
According to http://www.roads.maryland.gov/index.aspx?PageId=546

The Motor Carrier Division (MCD), in cooperation with the Maryland State Police (MSP) Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED), the Maryland Transportation Authority Police (MdTAP) Commercial Vehicle Safety Unit (CVSU) and allied law enforcement agencies certified to enforce motor carrier law is responsible for the safe movement of (Here comes that word) commercial motor vehicles (CMV) along Maryland highways. 

It then goes on to say, "The MSP and MdTAP operate 13 TWIS (Truck Weight and Insoection Stations) with permanent scales and 4 additional Stations that utilize portable scales to check CMV's (HERE WE GO ... Commercial again) for compliance with state and federal safety as well as size and weight requirements. Seven (7) of these sites utilize weigh-in-motion (WIM) devices to pre-screen for weight violations. Additional electronic screening for CMV credentialing (e.g. fuel tax, safety rating, etc.) is being deployed for increased efficiency and effectiveness in maintaining CMV safety.

So ... here is where the state really needs make sense because they create a loop hole and use it when they see fit. LETS look at what happens in the very next paragraph: 

Based upon Maryland statistical data, 1,800,000 trucks (--- WHAT KIND OF TRUCKS --- ) and commercial vehicles are weighed and 95,000 vehicles are inspected each year. Now all of a sudden that word commercial disappears giving these Agencies Probable Cause to mess with a coach NOT DISPLAYING commercial signage. 

So, Keon called MSP and MdTAP and YOU GUESSED IT ... I got 4 different answers

1. No, Motorcoaches and Motorhomes not displaying commercial signs do not have to stop according to MSP
2. According to an officers in the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division, we dont have to stop BUT if an officer feels it is necessary (At this point I hung up because that is entrapment as far as I am concerned.)
3 and 4 kind of mirror - No we arent required to stop unless there is a check point and an officer will direct us from there. 

And yall wonder why I am trying to move to Florida. :huh:

Keon.  Hate to burst your bubble, but you will run into the same thing in Florida!  Every State has a DOT and they randomly will pull over all Commercial and non Commercial vehicles.  It's not just weight that their looking for!  Try thinking, illegal goods, people smuggling, bald tires, EPA violations, etc. I don't look at it as entrapment, unless you got something to hide!  Your coming across as a little Paranoid on this subject.

Herman...Lol

Carl

What made me look into it was the signage at the entrance "All vehicles over 10,000 lbs are required to stop). What I saw "all vehicles" I thought hmmm....that's us. Aha keep going if they want me they know where to find me. Then I thought about it, I have a Class A CDL, I cant play dumb maybe I should have stopped. That was several trips ago past the same station. Still considering stopping by and asking if they would do me a favor and weigh our coach, as when I pass by we are usually as full as ever. We are all legal, toad has brakes and emergency breakaway and I would have done a pretrip less than an hour ago at home, so I know it all works, nothing to worry about here.

11 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

It is truly amazing to me that they can't perfect an adhesive to hold the tiles on the Space Shuttle but can make plastic packaging that can't be opened short of using a chain saw and red dye in diesel the will stain steel for a lifetime. ?

Herman 

:lol: good point!

That red dye in the off road won't easily come off of your hands either.

Keon, my little story under this same thread happened in Florida, I lived there 12 years too long, and will tell you that if you don't like the laws in Maryland, you will hate them in Florida.

:lol: Also, winter time Snow Birds...Lousy drivers, how they get RV's down there and back is a wonder!  Then you throw the Puerto Rican American and the Haitians into the mix...man, your going to love it..:lol::P  

Besides having a commercial business sign on your vehicle, the Federal Law states that any vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or more is a commercial vehicle.  What happens in most states, except 4 I think, exempts motor-homes from needing a commercial license as long as it is driven for personal use.  The same applies in most instances to weigh stations, however each state can require more stringent regulations as long as they don't usurp the Federal laws.

So what yall are telling me is:

1. Imma hate Florida Laws
2. I am slightly paranoid (I live in MD, you have to be)
3. OJ really did do it
4. We should just drive like we have sense and things should pan out ok. 

#Gotcha