djanderson

Brand New Unit: Found Crack In Roof Day After Delivery

Took delivery Jayco Alante 2017-found crack in the roof next day after we cleaned it.   Intentionally  hand washed and inspected the unit personally for these very reasons.    We take it back to show the service dept. tomorrow morning.  We want our money back or a new unit.  Is this possible?  Has anyone experienced this?  Could have probable/possible water damage, etc.  This was our first motorhome purchase.  Thanks for your help in advance.

djanderson. Welcome to the Forum!

How long and deep is this crack?  You should not have one and I would take pictures of it and send a certified letter with copy of photos to Jayco!  Service Dept. of Dealer or Factory?  Dealer, will probably offer you a new unit, but will charge you the difference between used and new!  Your coach became a used unit, when you drove it away from Dealership!  Document everything tomorrow, get anything and everything in writing...you can't present a verbal commitment anywhere!

Sad, but this has happened before and it can be a long process to resolve.  I personally would take unit directly to the manufacturer!

Carl

Sent pictures to Jayco and dealer as soon we found it. It makes me sick!!! No fault but my own.  I kick myself for not going over the roof my self.  Looks like a surface crack. The crack is about 10" right on the ridge where it rolls down.  Also a 1 incher right below that.  Looks to me like maybe water got in there and froze and broke where the little one is at.  Hope not much water damage!  Talked to Jayco and he said they would take care of us completely.  Just wondering if I should get a whole new top or just have it patched.......     Thank you for your reply.  

Do whatever you are going to do IMMEDIATELY.  It often takes a dealer a couple of days to process the paperwork to register a vehicle.  If it has not been registered, it would be a LOT easier to undo the transaction.

I would discuss just this with the owner or General Manager of the dealership TODAY.

Sometimes in some states you have a period of time to back out. If possible I would get out you don't know how wet the inside of the wall is and it could lead to delaminanation down he line after they are off the hook.

j,

I believe in Texas the grace period is 72 hours. If you wrote a check can you stop payment? Check mfg. date. That could let you know how long it sat on the lot.

As Brett said act NOW!

Good luck, 

Herman 

Lots of good suggestions.  Check the date of manufacture on the sticker on the body below the driver's window.

Hate it, when that happens!  I don't do osmosis real well.  Girl friend and Ex wife's does and did...