Brain Trust,  I am a new member to the FMCA community and a  recent proud owner of a 2001 Country Coach Magna "Haven" series Class A diesel. I am entirely new to the sport and I am having to come up to speed as quick as I can in an effort to prepare me for a trip from Texas to Rexburg Idaho.

I will have multiple questions but for now I need to Dewinterize my coach in prep for this trip.  Where is a source I can turn to for DIY support? 

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely, 

New Timer

(Manny) 

Anytime!  And welcome to the forum, as well as Country Coach ownership.  I'm on my 2nd Country Coach

Congrats Carl, What models have you ownded and what do you like the most about the Country Coach make.  I had a choice between a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution and this 2001 Country Coach Magna.  I believe I made the right decision but there is a lot that I don't know.  Thanks again for the information,

1 hour ago, maraujo9839 said:

Congrats Carl, What models have you ownded and what do you like the most about the Country Coach make.  I had a choice between a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution and this 2001 Country Coach Magna.  I believe I made the right decision but there is a lot that I don't know.  Thanks again for the information,

We currently own a 2007 Intrigue 42 foot Quad slide.  Prior to that, we owned an 06 Inspire 40 foot Triple slide.  We were thinking of doing some major upgrades and work to the Inspire when we came across the Intrigue and fell in love with the floor plan.  Made more sense to upgrade coaches than remodel and fix the existing one.

I'm impressed with the build quality of Country Coach and the overall interior attention to detail.  I think you'll be happy with your Magna.  What area of the country do you live?  We're in Oregon and belong to the Northwest Country Coach chapter.  If in the NW area, let me know and I'll give you some info on NWCC.  Otherwise, look into your local CC chapters, as well as the national ones.

Bill...thanks...I have that one bookmarked (as well as printed out and kept with the rest of my manuals/info)

Manny said he was in Texas.  Unless he's in Amarillo or Dalhart, I can't see a need to winterize !

Carl, Thanks I will take you up on that when I do make it all the way out West. I live just Northeast of Dallas Fort Worth in a little community called Blue Ridge, Texas- I would love to go to Newport Oregon and try some of the infamous Clam Chowder. I brought my family there once and we went from Oregon up to Seattle and back and they still talk about how much fun that was.  Concerning my coach - I purchased from a wonderful family in Oklahoma and he had it winterized and I am going to de-winterize prior to taking it to Rexburg Idaho this weekend. I will definitely look into getting connected with my local CC chapter.  

Maraujo,

Hello Neighbor. My wife Bobbie and I live live in Whitewright. Lived in McKinney for 40 years and moved to Whitewright in 2013. We also have friends that live just east of you on County Road 660, they have a Farmersville address. 

Send me a personal message (PM) sometime and we can converse.

Herman

Wow you 2 area whole 20 miles apart.

maraujo9839, did they say what they did to winterise your coach? I would look at the hot water heater to see if the drain plug is installed. The next is make shure the valves are set to let water into the hotwater heater. Flush and sanatise the fresh water tank. This should give you a good start on being ready to leave on your trip. You might want to change all your water filters while you are at it. 

With out knowing what they did to winterise it is hard to know what else to recomend. I would run all your systems to see if they are working properley before you leave.

Bill

Let your nose also be your guide.

Herman.  You need to get him into Lone Star, before Bill does his RRR thing! :lol:

6 minutes ago, manholt said:

Let your nose also be your guide.

Herman.  You need to get him into Lone Star, before Bill does his RRR thing! :lol:

What just because I might say something like "The Red River Rovers welcome Country Coach owners" :P 

maraujo9839 By the way Rexburg Idaho sounded familuer. I was through there last summer.;) 

Bill

Guys, Thank you for this great advise and I will look into the RRR.  I have to keep telling myself not to over think this.. We have water coming in and water going out and somewhere in between there is a water heater and a filtered water, Washing Machine, Refrigerator. we also have Propane gas, lets not even get into the electrical.  Wow .. 

Bill, Yes the owner had them winterized it with the pink stuff (?) researching now - Pink Antifreeze.  So once I flush this stuff out then I understand that I am supposed to treat my fresh water tank  with a small amount of Clorox (Bleach) drive it on a winding road to help disperse in the tank then empty and fill a couple of times. Once I am done with rinsing then I can install a new water filter. I will be looking through some Youtube videos to help get my confidence going.. :).

Herman, Thank you for the invite and I will take you up on it as the more information I can soak up the better.

Thanks agian all. 

I don't think you are overthinking this. I think you are trying to do it the right way and that's great. Much better spending a little extra time and get it done right than messing up and halving to do it over. Heare is somethin to guide you on sanatising the fresh water system. I realey think just the turbalance of adding water will mix the solution and you don't need to drive it.

It is not uncommon for RV owners to complain of bad water. The first sign of a contaminated water system is usually a bad taste, followed by strange odors emanating from the water supply. Bacteria may have built up in the water tank, especially if the water tank's supply has not been used frequently and has not been replenished with fresh, clean water on a regular basis. When a rig comes out of storage or is being used extensively on a city-water connection, the tank and entire water system should be sanitized before use. Some of the bacterial buildup can cause serious illness; don't take chances! Drain the water tank completely, then refill halfway with clean, fresh water. 

Mix 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity in a container with a gallon or two of clean water.

Pour this mixture into the water tank.

Top off the water tank with fresh water. Filling the tank should mix it well, but you can also drive the rig around the block to mix the solution.

Pump water through each faucet so that all the lines are filled with the water/bleach. Don't forget the shower and external faucets, if any.

The hot-water tank holds at least 6 gallons of water. Run the hot-water faucets until this much solution has passed to insure that the old water has been purged from the hot- water tank, and it is now filled with the water/bleach solution from the water tank. Alternatively, drain the hot water tank using its drain valve, then allow the pump to fill with the solution.

Let the water stand for several hours.

Drain the entire water system, hot-water tank included.

To remove the bleach odor, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank.

Fill the tank completely and pump this solution through the water heater andthe rest of the water lines. This solution can sit in the system for a few days. Driving the rig around the block will slosh water around and thoroughly clean the tank.
Drain the entire system and refill with fresh, clean water.

Note: If your RV does not have a fresh water fill tube (aka a gravity feed), hook up an empty water hose to the city water inlet, and pour the requisite amount of bleach or baking soda into the hose, then hook up to the water spigot, open the valve that fills your fresh water tank, turn on the water and the water will flush all the bleach (or baking soda) out of the hose and into your fresh water tank. I recommend you leave the hose loose enough to let the air vent out or the bleach may splash back as the air tries to vent.

The good news, if they used the pink RV antifreesa they did it right. The pink RV stuf won't hurt you but regular car antifreese can kill you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

All great advice guys!! 

One thing to add, if you store the coach and it has to be winterized and its going to sit longer than winter replace the RV antifreeze the following winter. Out first coach sat for two years with that stuff in the lines. It smelled so bad when it was flushed I had to walk outside, I was gagging. 

Just flushed the pink out yesterday. Always a great feeling when you have no leaks after winter :wub:

First trip next weekend.. :) 

Then, you could also use HP 3% instead of bleach, I do that twice a year...I don't like to flush out perfectly clean water, just to get rid of the bleach smell and something that can send you to the hospital.  I also, have a water hose on a reel.  I take out most of hose and pour a quart bottle in the hose, connect to faucet and let it run thru!  Takes me 20 minutes, twice a year to completely sanitize my coach!  Don't forget, you can use HP 3% as a mouth wash and gargle.  It kills bacteria, not you!!! :lol: 

12 hours ago, jleamont said:

All great advice guys!! 

One thing to add, if you store the coach and it has to be winterized and its going to sit longer than winter replace the RV antifreeze the following winter. Out first coach sat for two years with that stuff in the lines. It smelled so bad when it was flushed I had to walk outside, I was gagging. 

Just flushed the pink out yesterday. Always a great feeling when you have no leaks after winter :wub:

First trip next weekend.. :) 

That first trip is always something to look ,forward to. Where are you going?

Bill