rfsod48

Doing Your Own Maintence

For those of you doing some or all of your own maintenance what type of facility do you have?

I am talking about oil/filters and transmission fluid/filters. Do you have a pit or just crawl on your back. Do you remove a wheel or dual wheel for some things and if so what type of jack is needed? I am talking about a DP 36'-40'. Is this best left to professional mechanic?

There is certainly "one answer fits all".

Three questions, really:

1. Do you have a place to do it?  We have a storage garage with concrete floor.  If I need it up higher, I drive up on 2X12's.  As long as I have been under that part of the coach with all the air out of the suspension, I will do work without jack stands.  Those 2X12's give me that clearance under the whole coach.

2. Do you have the tools?

3.  Do you have the skill and desire?

Most work on a DP is not really technical.  An oil change is easier on our coach than our car-- plenty of clearance and no front air skirt to remove. Just use a bigger bucket-- I use an old Rubbermade tub that I line with black trash bags.  It is on its 3rd coach over the last 19 years and is doing just fine.

The real issue for the person who wants to do some/all their own work is to understand exactly what needs to be done! Examples of what is different about a DP: You have an air dryer that needs service, coolant needs to be tested and SCA level maintained, etc.

I don't have a facility but I am really getting tired of paying others to do work I could do if I only have the ability to get under my coach.  First and foremost, DO NOT go under your coach while on the manufacturers jacks and DO NOT go under your coach "assuming" that your air bags will keep you safe.  If you go under you MUST have a pit, have the coach on jack stands or drive the coach up on ramps capable of supporting your coach.  I am considering the ramp option.  I can buy a 2X10X10 and cut a 4', 3' 2', 1' section and nail them all together to make a stepped ramp that would be 7 inches high.  No matter what happened I would have the coach clearance with no air plus 7' to scurry out from underneath.  It's just the matter of figuring out what to do with these 2 ramps when not needed that I continue to struggle with.

Bill, that is where I am also. Really don't have a facility but think I could do some of the regular maintenance. 

I just bought a set of 12 ton truck jack stands from harbor freight plan to raise coach with hyd jacks and put stands underneath just need enough to lube front end.

I do my own maintenance in my driveway. Coach goes up on boards (under inner and outer tires on the back) I have them high enough that if the coach dumps all air and I still have room (safety first!!!) 

80 gallon two stage air compressor in the garage with regultor and air dryer. I have a 100' air reel with a 3/8 hose and 100' reel with a 1/2" hose (for 3/4 to 1" impact gun). Enough line so I can reach the coach in the driveway as its usually backed up to the garage door or in storage along side of the garage. 

pulling wheels; I have two 20 ton air bottle jacks to raise the coach and jack stands for the safety support. I usually lower the coach onto the stands and leave the jacks in place with some pressure on them. 

After adding up the cost of all the necessary equipment involved, along with my height and age, I come to the conclusion that I would much rather sit in a comfortable chair, with a beer and pay someone who is half my age and has all the certifications and tools!  If I feel that my retirement fund and income is not enough...I'll get a gasser!

Having said that, my significant other, does most of the work herself...she has the space, equipment and a mechanical mind...25 years of drilling water wells, until she sold it, but still have all the trucks, derricks, hydraulics, etc. in back of property along with a 50' x 70' metal building and shop!  That's her gig. I go golfing.

So, when it comes to the care and feeding of a DP coach...to each, it's own! 

Carl

I change my own car/truck oil, but do not do the MH.  This beast takes 42 quarts, which is roughly 75 pounds.  Too much to move easily and just too much to fool with.  I have a mom and pop diesel shop, whos primary business is rebuilding engines, who changes my oil and does a chassis lube for $65.  I supply the oil and filter.  Not worth me getting dirty for that price.

FIVE.  Don't mention name, city and State.:(  That place would be so full of DP's, you would have to draw a number, 6 months in advance! :lol::lol:

On 4/10/2017 at 5:58 PM, manholt said:

FIVE.  Don't mention name, city and State.:(  That place would be so full of DP's, you would have to draw a number, 6 months in advance! :lol::lol:

It's a great little shop.  They encourage customers to wander around the shop...which I do to point out some of the hard to see lube points.  It is an Allison service center also.  I've been going there six years, it's been $65 the entire time (and no tax since I'm out of state and it's maintenance)...which happens to be their hourly rate.  I bit less than the $135 an hour I paid at Freightliner last month.:(