wolfe10

Fluids Analysis: Engine, Transmission, Coolant, Axles, Etc

For those of you wanting to do fluid analysis (I recommend it) I just ran into this discount for FMCA Members:

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/

Discount Code:          FMCA

Discount Amount:    10% off applicable test kits (see below)

Discounted Items:    

• JGOA24 Advanced Oil Analysis Kit (3-pack)     Note:    Advanced testing protocol gives the best overall value and can be used for engine oil, transmission fluid, differential gear oil and hydraulic fluid.
  • JGCA21 Coolant Analysis Kit (singles)

While my Chevy gas 6.0L may not face the same issues as a 45' DP I have use brake fluid test strips. Brake fluid is a real safety issue for those of us who do not have air brakes.

Test strips are relatively inexpensive (less than $10 for two) and available on-line and at many auto parts stores.

Agree, brake fluid (hydraulic brakes) needs to be changed!  New brake fluid boils around 500 degrees F.  As it absorbs water to protect the iron components of the brake system, the boiling point drops down to 286 degrees F (that is what is on the brake fluid can for hydrated fluid).  BIG DIFFERENCE.

This is a real safety issue, particularly if driving in the mountains.

This is from Hemmings.com, you can go there to read the complete article.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/12/06/tech-101-brake-fluids-whats-different-about-them-and-why-should-you-care/

DOT 5 is silicone-based brake fluid and is used in most new cars today. DOT 5 is expensive, but it has a dry boiling point of 356 degrees. Newer brake rotors tend to be smaller and thinner, which means they disperse heat a lot less efficiently. Also, DOT 5 does not absorb any moisture. DOT 5 will not harm painted surfaces and acts as a weather barrier for your brake system, preventing rust. DOT 5 can be used as an upgrade or replacement for both DOT 3 and 4, but should not be mixed with any of the other fluids. The procedures to convert your DOT 3 or 4 systems to the silicone-based DOT 5 are similar to the Dot 4 conversion procedure mentioned above. Silicone-based brake systems tend to be more difficult to bleed, but once this is accomplished, a DOT 5-filled system will resist rust better and last longer than the other formulations. Silicone brake fluid is also much lighter in cold temperatures, only about 900 weight at -40 F.

A new formulation has recently been developed called DOT 5.1. This fluid is identical to DOT 5 silicone in both boiling point and viscosity; however, it is compatible in the poly-glycol based systems and anti-lock brakes as well. DOT 5.1 can be used in place of either of the poly-glycol-based fluids even though it has half the viscosity of DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid. In fact, DOT 5.1 can be intermixed with the other non-silicone based fluids.

Bill

I have used JG Lube for several years for both trans fluid and engine oil.  Their reports are very detailed and very good...they recommend the advanced analysis kit.  For a few more bucks you get lots more information.  I have called them on several occasions with questions and for some more information.  Twice I talked to Tom Johnson, the retired Allison engineer, and owner of the company.  He will happily talk with you and provides great information.

Tireman and Brett brought up a good point on brake fluid, its one that is so often forgotten about. You also have to be careful with boiling points with different manufactures, the spec requirements are broad and some just make it in while others exceed it.