rlbarkleyii

Against The Law To Idle, Gas Or Diesel

On a good note I have never had fuel come out of the vent, so there is still room for expansion. It's not uncommon for me to fill up and the temps rise 30+ degrees, still not a drop.

On 5/21/2017 at 5:24 PM, jleamont said:

I installed the EGT gauge last year. To my surprise it cools rather fast even on high idle with the cruise on. I can pull a hill on the highway let off the accelerator pedal up the ramp and coast. at the end of the ramp I'm below 400 degrees when I was at 1100 prior. 

Carl, I didn't shut it down before, after Herman posted how he tilts his coach to actually fill the tank I do now and dump the bags on the right side. My gauge actually goes to Full now! Before I would turn the cruise on and bring the idle up to 1100. But my HWH system will not come out of travel mode with the engine running 

It is the cooler EGT and oil circulation that eventually cools the bearing and the cooler bearing does not coke the residual oil... this results in less bearing spalling and longer turbo life....but this Takes time; in actual practice bearing temps rise after shutdown of a heat soaked turbo.   In the aerospace industry, Ray Jay and Garrett turbos are routinely allowed to cool 15 minutes before shutdown.  NTSB accident reviews that involve roll offs in manifold pressure almost always recommend proper warm up and cool down of the turbo. (In this business turbo failure = forced landing before the high dollar repair bill)... sometimes this cool down is shorter, but that is after a 20 minute (15,000 foot) descent at reduced manifold pressure and a taxi to the ramp.

Let it cool... here is what I see after 10 minutes of idle only on my Beaver's Cat... soon we will run a large Cummings Genset at full power for an hour... hope to get multiple shots then

john

IMG_1234.JPG

That isn't bad, I wonder how it can run that cool. I normally see EGT's of 350+ at idle. I normally try to get my EGT below 400 before shutdown. 

Bill

John.  When it foams, just wait a couple of minutes for it to settle, then fill it up slowly by hand...I used to get another 10-15 gal that way. 

Carl

My EGT at idle is 290 and then I shut down.  In RV parks, it cools down when I register, then may go up a 100 to site...by the time I get myself adjusted to hook ups, I shut it off !  I check again when I level coach and its below 200.

I run the generator 80% of the time while traveling and Cummins told me that when I get to campground, take of load and go register, it is off when I come out and everything is running on inverter.  (not AC or heat).  I use dash AC for about 30 minutes to exercise it once a month.  My generator is 10Kw non variable speed.

Carl

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

That isn't bad, I wonder how it can run that cool. I normally see EGT's of 350+ at idle. I normally try to get my EGT below 400 before shutdown. 

Bill

Idle only, no travel yet....

Joe that's what I do drove a bucket truck with saddle tanks for a bunch of years those were a piece of cake to top off coach has fills on both sides and about 5 ft of hose leading to the tank from each side. Curb side fills best so I try to favor that one. Won't have to worry about that for a while blew another huei pump only about 2500 miles lasted for a year and 2 months so naturally it was just out of warentee cat said they will pay for 80% if I buy an extended warentee. The bad news is they don't have any and don't expect any till July or august they are trying other dealers. At least I drove it to Milton cat this time didn't have to get towed. oooooo well only dirty green paper with dead presidents pictures on it

I pull into a CG, put the coach on high idle (with the cruise control) go and register, come out and crawl to the site, my gauge by then might move up to 400 but not common, usually it stays lower. When I get to the site and park, I fan the brake pedal to get the compressor to cut in, wait for it to build air and the dryer to purge, then I shut down. Since I have air leveling the more air the better it levels so I always start with full tanks.

John, HEUI pump again on your CAT? that's odd! Were they leaking or not pumping?

Don't have a egt on mine so I just idle till engin temp is at low normal how difficult is it to install one also boost pressure 

1 hour ago, jrock said:

Don't have a egt on mine so I just idle till engin temp is at low normal how difficult is it to install one also boost pressure 

This is one of those "diaper" answers,:lol:, Depends on how mechanical you are. I used the Banks set up http://bankspower.com/ I have the Economind diesel tuner and the IQ for display. I get boost from the computer (ECM). I had to install a probe to get EGT as Cummins does not monitor EGT. Just had to drill a hole and tape it before the turbo. There is a drawing and instructions in this pub. I was pleased  how fast the response time was with their thermocouple. The almost instantaneous change lets you see what small changes to throttle position or load can do to temperatures.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.bankspower.com/sdc/manual/96828_cummins_classa_economind_v5.pdf

I did install a separate boost line for something else. You can't do it the way they show as there is a inner convoluted sleeve in that part of the intake. I backed up to the elbow and it worked fine. Any questions I will be glad to help.

Bill

On 23/05/2017 at 6:55 PM, jleamont said:

HEUI pump

I'm a newbie here.

Have been much enjoying reading lots of posts and trying to soak up some of the abundance of RV wisdom here.

May I ask what is a Huei pump? At first, I thought it might be a typo for fuel pump, but evidently not.

We're happy we found FMCA, especially like the forum.

Rand

Rand , Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

HEUI pump is used on Diesel Engines, Best described as HEUI Fuel System. The Hydraulically actuated Electronically controlled Unit Injectors (HEUI) use a hydraulic pump and engine oil to generate fuel injection pressure, and an ECM to control the pressure and amount of fuel injected into the cylinders.

We tend to be creatures that like to add confusion to everything ! Like ATM - Automatic Teller Machine or Asynchronous Transmission Mode.  LOL 

Rich.