rcrasor

Best Car for Towing

We are new to this and are looking for advice from those who hjave blazed the trails before us.  We have a 2008 FWD Ford Escape, with automatic transmission that we'd like to tow behind our 2014 Thor Tuscanny.  We've heard horror stories on everything but a dolly.  So we are looking for opinions for best dollies, or best ways to tow.  Thanks so very much! The Rasors

Yes, welcome!

Bill is a little confused today, he woke up and discovered to his horror that it's Mothers day, not Fathers...Oops!:blink::lol:

What does your owners manual say about being towed?  I'm guessing that since your AWD, it's an automatic and you would need a Remco disconnect or lube pump to tow 4 down.

Carl

Carl, It appears that you woke up in the same condition as Bill, op stated AUTOMATIC FWD, NOT AWD. Big difference!:P The FMCA tow guide for 2008 does not list Ford Escape 4X4 as being towable 4 down, but does list Escape 4X4 automatic hybrid as being towable 4 down.

Well like I said it would be easier for rcrasor to look at the towing guide as he knows what model he has. What did you say Carl.:P

Bill 

We are new to RV towing.  We haven't yet done it as we've read some pretty scarry stories about our present car (2008 Ford Escape FWD, automatic). We're looking advice from those that have taken this journey before us.  We have a 2014- 41' Thor Tuscany diesel pusher.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

On 5/14/2017 at 4:50 PM, kaypsmith said:

Carl, It appears that you woke up in the same condition as Bill, op stated AUTOMATIC FWD, NOT AWD. Big difference!:P The FMCA tow guide for 2008 does not list Ford Escape 4X4 as being towable 4 down, but does list Escape 4X4 automatic hybrid as being towable 4 down.

Thank you so much.  We have a 2014 Ford Escape FWD automatic and the manual doesn't say.  We were thinking dolly with front wheels up, but read some horror stories for just about any towing.  We have a call into our Ford dealer, but nothing back yet.  Thanks so much for everyone's advice.  New to this forum, and not sure our question got out there.  Much appreciated.  RCR

On 5/14/2017 at 7:22 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Well like I said it would be easier for rcrasor to look at the towing guide as he knows what model he has. What did you say Carl.:P

Bill 

Unfortunately the manual didn't come with the car and what's online is very thin on true, useable information.  I thought I try thr pros that have actually been doing this in FMCA!  Thanks so much RCR :-)

On long trips I prefer my 1/2 t Silverado pickup because I have a 100 gal fuel tank in the back and I use to truck to get fuel and then pump into the motorhome.  Don't have to worry if you can get into and out of the station and you can go for the least expensive diesel.  On short trips I tow a Prius on a dolly if I'm going for good mileage in the towed.  Motorhome mileage is the same with either.

1 hour ago, rcrasor said:

We are new to RV towing.  We haven't yet done it as we've read some pretty scarry stories about our present car (2008 Ford Escape FWD, automatic). We're looking advice from those that have taken this journey before us.  We have a 2014- 41' Thor Tuscany diesel pusher.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Have you consulted your owner's manual? Both the FMCA towing guide and Remco say it is not towable 4 down and you need to use a dolly. 

https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/204-towing-guides-towing-four-wheels-down.html

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Bill

Read your owner's manual a 2008 Escape is towable 4 down. the 2011 and subs till the current new models are questionable the new model is not towable. I towed a 2009 for over 50K miles without problems.

Walter.  Welcome to the Forum!

He does not have a owners manual of the 2008!

Personally, I prefer Jeep, 4 down! 

5 hours ago, WalterMitchell said:

Read your owner's manual a 2008 Escape is towable 4 down. the 2011 and subs till the current new models are questionable the new model is not towable. I towed a 2009 for over 50K miles without problems.

Welcome to the forum. It depends on what model of 2008 Escape you have. Both of the places I linked to say NO  to the one he has.

Bill

Thank you all for such wonderful advice.  We contacted Ford direct and they said we can't tow 4 wheels down but could on a dolly, rear wheels down.  Not sure what we'll do, for now, not towing and we'll see how we do without another vehicle.  I guess there's always Uber or rental cars???  Appreciate everyone's comments and the sens of "family comedy".

We're towing a GMC Acadia, before that a Chevy Trailblazer.  Both were six passenger vehicles.  For us, a 6 passenger vehicle comes in handy and when not hauling friends, we fold the rear seats down use it as our gym locker.  Things like the golf clubs, hiking gear, tennis racquets, bicycle tire and seats, etc.  Both had a 2" receiver for a solid bicycle rack.  Everyone is different, if a 4 or 5 seater works for you, then that is the best for you.  The Trailblazer was a 4WD and I miss that with the current Acadia but we only used it occasionally.  The Towing Guide in the January issue of the FMCA Magazine (on line here) has information. Always verify this with the owners manual or with the manufacturer as sometimes they change their mind after a specific vehicle has been towed for a while. 

Yes, the steering wheel locks when the key is in the off position.  With two fuses pulled, the ignition is left in the accessory position and that leaves the steering wheel unlocked.  The transmission is left in neutral.  We do have to start and run the engine for a short period of time periodically, minimally starting out each day.