Jackgray

Problem With Remote Start RC7/QD7500

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40' with a QD7500 generator. My issue it that it will not start from the remote RC7 inside the coach. The LED display shows Generator on/off with the strating button just below it. I can start the generator by using the control start button on the generator itself. Once running I cannot shut it off with the Remote panel either. I have contact ONAN directly and they advised that I check the 8 pin connector on the generator where the plug if located on the outside of the generator case and found nothing abnormal.  Any ideas would be helpful ! 

Is you generator on a slide , if so I would perform a thorough inspection of all wiring.  The wiring may have been damaged or pinched in the slide mechanism.  If you don't find any issue, my nest step would be to check the switch inside the coach.

Do you have the wiring diagram for the remote start?  It's a pretty simple circuit.

Jim

Is this a plug you can unplug?  Did you do so an inspect the interior as well as the pins?  If it is removable and it looks pretty clean and shiny I doubt your issue is here but you should be able to trace that wire back at least a bit to see if there might be some critter damage or a bare wire due to something rubbing.  Trace as far as you can and then see if you can determine where it enters the coach.  You may be able to find access to it inside as well.  You should also be able to remove the remote panel or find access to the back so you can check for issues there as well.

Loose connections are always in the mix for locating issues after you check for critter damage. Everything on the coach gets mover around like being in a blender.

Rich

Jack, assuming you have started it before with the RC7 panel? We have the same system and its tricky to get the generator to start with the panel, to the point I wont use the RC7 to start it. I have a switch next to the radio on the dash and next to the bed in the back, do you have any other switches inside, do they work?

Joe, I to have the RC7 Panel and would love to have the generator start when the house batteries get below a certain point. Read the Manuel can't make heads or tails of it. I can start my Gen. from three places. Dash, above the passengers seat and beside the bed. Just press and hold till is starts.

Herman

I had to look up RC7, I think we had one before I changed inverters, we now have a newer version but still an Xantrex model.  The autostart function worked on the old RC7 and it works on our present model.  I had to take it to the factory service center to find someone who could set the programming to get it to work.  I tried for quite a time with Xantrex service people and couldn't get it set right.  Once the factory got it set, I haven't touched the menu.  I love the autostart.  The factory service center even set it to automatically exercise itself once a month!  We leave it on automatic all the time.  If we need to start the generator manually, we use the control panel to start and stop the generator.  Using any of the manual switches will cause an error condition that has to be cleared before the autostart will work again.  That might be your problem or it could be in the menu settings which as Herman has stated, are written in Greek.

Tom and Herman, the manual is a tough one, I completely agree. I played with it one afternoon and figured it out, out of shear frustration. The acronyms are all I use the manual for now. If you press and hold the inverter on/off the generator will start, do it again and it shuts the generator and the Inverter off. figured that out when the inverter was off and couldn't get it to turn on (also not in the manual) 

my favorite, I have the auto start set up to come on but manual off, why, I start the generator turn on the Roof AC as soon as the AC comes on the generator shuts off, because the batteries are full, it has no idea the AC was on. I called Xantrex with that one, they told me to correct this it needs the later model for $1900.00. I'll live with it! I'm not convinced they are correct on that. 

Look under my profile and pictures.  You will see a picture of a bad connector I found under the coach going to generator remote start.  Trace the wiring from the generator to the switch until you find it.  

10 hours ago, jleamont said:

Puff, where was that connector located?

Under the coach to wire bundle on top of frame behind front door steps.  Had to crawl under the coach to find the break in the wire to the two remote switches

5 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Joe, I could not find a picture of the connector. picture file under your name Ray?

Rich.

terminal

You can see the second wire on the left had the greenie meanies.  

Thanks Ray ! For the copy of the connector.

Nice Copper patina ! Not what one licks to see in, on or around electrical connections. 

Rich.