08Winger

Front End Shimmy

Reaching out to those in the know... I have a 1999 Monaco LaPalma (just purchased last year) and it has a front end shimmy that you feel through the steering wheel.  It seems to be related to engine RPM.  What I mean by that is that the shimmy intensifies as the RPM increases as in down-shifting.  While underway if I take my foot off of the gas the shimmy disappears.  I'm not quite sure what to check for; I have heard that it could be front-end related, driveshaft related, or something all-together different.  Needing advice as we are new to this.  We recently had new tires installed all the way around so I am not thinking it has anything to do with rotating tires.  The shimmy was there with the old tires.

Ford F53 Chasis

08Winger,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Since it changes with engine RPM/load, the drive shaft is the place to start.  And since it did not change with change of tires, again the drive shaft is where to start.

Please do post what chassis you are on.

I agree with Brett, Start with the drive live line. You should have three universal joints and a carrier bearing. They all could be worn, If it is in the drive line I would replace all with grease able parts.

Herman 

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Britt and Herman the first place I would check is the drive shaft. I would do this as soon as possible and limit any driving. Replacing bearings is cheaper than replacing the driveshaft.

Bill

1 hour ago, 08Winger said:

Reaching out to those in the know... I have a 1999 Monaco LaPalma (just purchased last year) and it has a front end shimmy that you feel through the steering wheel.  It seems to be related to engine RPM.  What I mean by that is that the shimmy intensifies as the RPM increases as in down-shifting.  While underway if I take my foot off of the gas the shimmy disappears.  I'm not quite sure what to check for; I have heard that it could be front-end related, driveshaft related, or something all-together different.  Needing advice as we are new to this.  We recently had new tires installed all the way around so I am not thinking it has anything to do with rotating tires.  The shimmy was there with the old tires.

Ford F53 Chasis

Also note: coach only has 14,000 miles on it (1,500 of which we have put on).  I realize the coach is old but would bearings or u-joints be shot?

Yes they can. Like most things in life if you don't use it you lose it. Bearing surfaces need to be lubed while in use. Grease can dry out if not constantly moving. So as Bill said, drive it as little as possible until you have either fixed the joints or ruled them out.

Herman 

Sounds like the posts above are pointing you in the right direction. If you are capable of checking them yourself (removing the driveshaft) don't forget to put down wheel chocks prior to pulling the shaft and make sure it can't roll.

Wow!  It don't matter much, with only 800 miles a year, if it's a DP or Gasser, I would grease every fitting  on that coach, until I saw grease coming back out!  Also, look at wheel bearings,  bushings, hoses and belts!  Change the coolant and flush radiator, change fluids in rear end, transmission, break and oil.

Herman. I know that..I said that DP or Gas, that's only been driven an average of 800 miles a year!  This is what I would do!

In other words, it's been sitting around to much!  Geez!