jeff753

Member Access to Governing Board Mailings/Documents

I tried to review Governing Board Mailings for the upcoming convention and it says my account does not have permission to view such stuff? Why is that?

The packets for Governing Board members have been sent and those that haven't should receive them soon.

Back to the issue of the Governance Tab on the web site.  While there is some sensitive information that should not be open to all members just because it is premature to be announced.  I do feel that the Articles of Incorporation, Constitution, Bylaws and the Member and Volunteer Handbook (which contains the Policies and Procedures) should be available for all members.  Minutes of meetings (once approved) should be available, too.

The Governance of FMCA:

The Governing Board is the highest authority of the organization.  The FMCA Executive Board members (15) and the Chapter's National Directors are members of the Governing Board. The National Directors elected by their chapter to represent the chapter at the Governing Board meeting which is held once a year at the summer convention, this year Indianapolis on July 12th.  The Chapter also elects an Alternate National Director that should attend the Governing Board meeting.  If the National Director is not present or has to leave the floor of the Governing Board meeting, the Alternate has voting rights to represent the chapter.  If neither the National Director or Alternate can attend the meeting, the chapter can elect a temporary Delegate to be the chapters representative.  If for some unforeseeable event happens, the Chapter President can appoint a temporary delegate, but only in the window of 22 days through 7 days before the Governing Board Meeting. 

During this years Governing Board Meeting, the issue of towables is of concern for may members.  The actual change is from 'motor homes or motor coaches' to 'recreational vehicles".  As National Director, I think we should vote to recommend to the membership adoption of the changes to the Articles and the Constitution.  The Bylaw changes if approved by the Governing Board will be Provisos pending the approval by the membership of the Articles and Constitution which will be in the September issue of Family Motor Coaching sent to the members.  The majority of the returned ballots will determine the outcome.  

Back to the Governance:

Between Governing Board Meetings the FMCA Executive Board acts for the Governing Board to conduct the business of Family Motor Coach Association (the not for profit part of the business) and Family Motor Coaching (the for profit part of the business).  The FMCA Executive Board members are the President, Senior Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and 10 National Vice Presidents.  The 10 National Vice Presidents are elected by their respective Area Associations.  The four officers are elected by the Governing Board at the Governing Board meeting.

Next are the 10 Areas which are geographical except for the INTO area which include all of FMCA.  The National Vice President is also the President of the area's association.  The chapters within that geographical area belong to that area association.  The chapters that belong to the INTO area are usually special interest or manufacturer brand specific.

And finally the individual members are represented via their National Director elected by their chapter.  Less than 40% of the membership belongs to a chapter; therefore, what about the remaining members, how are they represented?  The National Vice President for their area is their representative.  And don't forget the membership has control of the organization by their vote on Articles and Constitutional matters.

Hopefully, this information will aid in understanding the architecture of our organization.

Sorry Ross, but I do not agree with you. This whole thing of towables has been shoved down our throats. We have been bombarded with the chicken little story that if we do not approve the towable issue, FMCA will go down the toilet. There was zero studies done to determine if any towables want/will join. FMCA has spent over $260,000 on advertising, where was it spent? I spent time in a Cummins repair facility and had time to read all the magazines in the rack which included Trailer Life, Motorhome, Escapees, plus a few others. None of those magazines had anything in  them about FMCA .

Problem with passing the articles and constitution as they now stand is that there is zero definition of the proposed "recreation vehicle". With the current wording, a snowmobile, a bicycle or  a boat can join FMCA.. I know there will be someone stand up and propose some "guidelines" as to what is considered a "recreation vehicle"  to be used until further revisions can be made but what happens when I want to join with my boat? Is FMCA going to tell me no? If that is the case, FMCA could be open to a lawsuit.

It is best that this mess be shot down until these items are fixed. The way it is now, we are doing something stupid and asking for forgiveness later.

Ross, while your post indicates your personal feelings on this issue, the true question for a national director is what your chapter has indicated as their wish as to how you should vote.

On June 12, 2017 at 6:27 PM, desertdeals69 said:

I think that is for national directors and committee members.

Why restrict it?   I'm a member and I am going to be asked to vote on something I can't see the details about?

Is there something a national director needs to see but I cannot?  

I have no desire to be another Good Sam or Escapees nor do I think it will solve the obvious problems.   Now a good marketing campaign and membership drive....that would work!  Maybe a new wifi plan sponsored by FMCA or something like that:)

On edit I'd like to thank and congratulate Chris Smith (FMCA Executive Director) and his teams for hooking us up with the new Verizon benefit   I heard new memberships are up a gazillion percent over the same month last year   Let's give this new team a chance succeed before we try to float a new boat   How about 2 years?  Nothing says we can't try something else first