jeporter99

New RV Question

Hello all:

I'm a new member and we're picking up our new DP as soon as some warranty work is complete. In order to provide protection at the pedestal I have pre-ordered a portable surge protector, specifically a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X. While performing a walkdown of the RV today I snapped pictures of all of the equipment I could see and upon returning home I discovered the unit is already equipped with a Surge Guard Transfer Switch, specifically the 41260.

Are these two devices redundant? Will the portable unit enhance the protection or hinder it? My (newbie) understanding is that the transfer switch, while providing a certain level of protection, provides a different service than the Progressive Industries Unit. In addition, the Progressive Industries unit provides me with diagnostic information concerning the feed.

So, OK to use both or should I return the portable unit?

Thanks.

Jp

I don't think that it will hinder or hurt your unit. Good side of owning a portable unit is that you could plug it in and check before pulling into a space, but I don't think that is a big deal either, I have only experienced a faulty pedestal one time in 30 years, and hundreds of hookups. If the onboard unit does what it is supposed to, then I think were it me, I would opt for a refund, and spend the money on something of more importance to me. Just my humble opion (JUMO). Welcome to the forum, many happy tails, and trails!:rolleyes:

IMHO/ if you use a portable for protection and it fails, it is very easy to replace. JLeamont even has a link to a small portable circuit analyzer that he uses on checkin. Maybe he will send a link.

https://50amppowerpal.com/

Kay, if you should ever travel up here...you have been warned :lol:, bring a volt meter! We have only been RV'ing for 9 years and I have had more than my fair share of tower problems and damage as a result. rsbilledwards had a problem two sites down from myself and Obedb last September, he borrowed my power pal and thought it was neat.

Older campgrounds are prone to problems and using circuit breakers as on/off switches amplifies it. Worn out breakers seems to be the bulk of the problems I have encountered causing low voltage or campgrounds having too much draw on the infrastructure.

I even got wacked by 220 at a campground when turning on the breakers at a CG in Oklahoma, I had one hand on the tower when I flipped the breakers on... hmmm, that explains a lot also :lol: 

I don't deserve all the credit for the gadget, Brett sent the link a few years ago when I mentioned testing CG towers, and I love gadgets like that.

I agree with Joe, You need a way to test the pedestal before allowing power to your coach. I think the tester is ok for a "snapshot" of what the power is right now it doesn't take the place of a good Surge Guarde. The problem as has been covered is the power may not stay constant. I think there are maney more low power/voltage issues than hi or over voltage. It is not just one area that has problems. I have had/seen problems from Galveston Island to Oregon to Maine. There are only 2 kinds of campers those who have had power issues and those who will. 

Bill

Bill.  That's a understatement !  Mine is built in, but I still use my Progressive 50A to check that all is fine, before I plug in. :o

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

There are only 2 kinds of campers those who have had power issues and those who will. 

Some problems don't necessarily show the damage immediately but down the road the life of the component was greatly reduced.

I am not advocating no surge protection. Being in the computer/it field for a living, I certainly BELIEVE in surge protection. I was only referring to two of them at the same time is an overkill, as well as actually making a weaker link to the main power. And yes I have seen many circumstances where there is a potential for damage, fortunately I have not been a victim yet.

I have the Progressive Industries PT-50C and it has saved my coach several times.  The most interesting one was in a Kansas CG and all of a sudden the air conditioning went off.  I went to the pedestal and saw that error code for low voltage and low and behold the voltage had dropped to 104 volts and shut the surge protector off. There have been many other times during storms, brown outs, etc., that the surge protector did its job.

They are 100% worth the value. Consider it an insurance and it is only there when it is needed.