john_harris

Yosemite and 40ft MH

DW and I are planning a west cost trip in late summer 2018 and planning to spend a few days in Yosemite. We love staying in national park campgrounds and have stayed in numerous where the posted length is 35' with our 40' unit and the toad and still kept all tires on the pavement. Yes, that included Mather in Grand Canyon. I see several sites in Lower Pines CG that are 35' range but the big question is maneuvering thru the campground as well as obstacles on a particular site. Also depends if park refuses to allow larger units. Has anyone with 40 footer had any experience there or have suggestions for private options not so far out of park that don't seem like parking lots? Additionally, does non weekend in September tend to be less crowded or is it about the same regardless?   

About 10 years back we stayed at the Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA, 6323 Highway 140, Midpines, CA. 95345

it is just outside the park and a quick drive in for sightseeing.  

They can accommodate your 40 foot no problem.  full hook ups, $55 - 65 I think.

This is a very busy park during the summer months so vacancy could be an issue from here to October,,

We were in Yosemite last year and stayed just south of Groveland CA, its on Hwy 120 about 15 miles north of the park entrance.  It was mid September and we had warm days and cool nights, stayed at Yosemite Pines RV park.  Park was not very busy, they were winding down for the season.  It quite a winding steep grade just north of Groveland, make sure you take the NEW PRIEST GRADE road,  the OLD Priest Grade rode doesn't allow RV's.

We also have a HR Endeavor 40' and were pulling a toad, no difficulty traveling up or down the grade, just drive slow uses you gears when going down hill.

Jim

We were in Yosemite in the Spring, before the rush.  It was busy, plenty of activity.  We took our bikes into the park and were able to ride around to the inner park features, lock them up and hike to falls, etc.  There is basically a huge parking lot and then you take the bus if you don't have bicycles.  We camped at a park near the Archway entrance (el Portal).  The Archway is low clearance, under a slanted rock feature, not RV accessible.  That is the heart of the park.  The RV park we stayed in (Indian Flats) on Hwy 140, was cramped and difficult for a 38 foot coach.  We made it in, stayed a week and then moved on.  It was close to the park which made up for the tight facilities.  Yosemite is a delight, not welcoming to RV's.  Find the nearest park that meets your needs and then concentrate on enjoying the park.  It is well worth a visit.  Some of our best memories from that visit. 

On 8/24/2017 at 3:34 AM, John_Harris said:

So, no one has actually camped in a Yosemite NP campground with 40ft unit? 

You mean you wanted an answer to your question, not comments about RV Parks outside Yosemite and about the crowds.  

Sorry, I don't know if you can maneuver a 40 footer in the CG roads.  I also don't recall reading in other forums about someone taking a 40 footer in the campground.

John.  Been there in a 32 foot Southwind, very tight fit.  Recommend you drive inn with your toad and camp outside the Park.  Last time, in a 36 foot Allegro Bus, in 2014, I stayed at Mariposa KOA...I would do the same in my current 45 footer. 

We are currently in Yosemite staying in the town of Oakhurst at the High Sierra RV and Campground in a 38' Allegro Bus with CRV toad.   The premium full hookup rate is $48.  They take Good Sams but we opted for a 15% discount for a 7 night stay=$290. Our rig is situated near a waterfall on the Fresno River.  There is also a very small "beach" and waterhole for swimming. Our dog enjoys the easy access to the water.   I did extensive research before our trip determining our only option was outside the park.  The Mariposa KOA is a good option.  We chose to stay in Oakhurst as the location made more sense with arrival from the Monterey area and then heading out to Three Rivers/Sequoia/Kings Canyon after our Yosemite stay.  We've enjoyed many of the town's extras-Oakhurst Distillery, Southgate Brewing, Wine Tails.  There is a Discover Yosemite Tour that operates here with pickup from our campground.  If you are into photography, check out a couple of 4 hour classes ($95/ea) offered by the park through the Ansel Adams Gallery.  Hubby thoroughly enjoyed those.  We have been unfortunate in that several wildfires have dampened the enjoyment of the park.  The main park entrance for us on Hwy 41 has been closed for many days (now open), requiring an extra hour of travel to the west entrance.  They also closed Glacier Point Road, one of the main viewpoints.  There is so much smoke at times, difficult to see anything. Many people evacuated to shelters in Oakhurst.

As to the visitors, it was extremely crowded the weekend after Labor Day, Sept 8-10.  Today (Monday) there wasn't the same hour plus wait to get into the park and actually found a parking space unlike other days.  The weekends are killers.  Try to visit on the weekdays.  I would expect later in Sept less visited.  

If you ever get a chance to stay on the Pacific Coast in the Monterey area, highly recommend staying at the Moss Landing KOA on the harbor.  Enjoyed spending hours watching the harbor life, including the playful vocal sea lions.  We took a whale watch cruise and had a memorable experience watching a group of humpbacks and sea lions work together diving for anchovies, then surfacing several minutes later.  Better whale watching than our experience in Alaska last year.