brocki

Reliability Of Winegard SK-1000 Traveler Antennae

Recently had a failure of the SK motor on my traveler antennae.  Until  now it has been bulletproof.  I have only had that device for 10 months.  After 3 days of trying to get through to their customer support, I did get a call back.  After a test or two, it was determined that the motor had failed and the whole antennae would be replaced under warranty.  No complaint there.  Once we made the contact, they stepped right up to the plate as far as being replaced under full warranty.  They did say that that motor had been a problem and they have "re-designed" the motor.

My concern is this; I have had that for only 10 months.  Is this a problem just waiting to re-occur?  Interested in you other folks out in the big wide world as to your reliability history on this device.

Don't know yet.  I'll find out when I get to the dealer that is doing the work.  I hope the warranty starts over.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:06 PM, desertdeals69 said:

Does the new unit have the full warranty or just full fill the original warranty?

No, it does not have a NEW warranty.  The warranty is from the ORIGINAL date of purchase.  So that means I will have a 3 week parts and labor warranty after I get the new (rebuilt) antennae installed.  I just got this message back from Winegard this AM.  That is the way most warranties are handled but I admit that given the cost of the device, I am disappointed.

We bought and I installed the Sk-1000 in May 2012.  In 2014 I moved it to a different RV.  We have about 50,000-55,000 miles of bouncing roads including probably a total of 1000-1500 miles on gravel roads.  This includes our 4 1/2 month trip to Alaska last year where we had a 450 mile round trip on the Alaska Pipeline Haul road (Dawson Hwy) almost all gravel with pot holes. 

We also travel 6-10 months of the year.  When we travel we usually move every 2 days to a week.  We rarely stay for 2 weeks w/o moving.  This means we are putting the dish up and down many, many times every year.

No problems with the Winegard.  

I had an older Winegard Dome on our coach. When Dish made changes to their transmission it would not pick up the signals. When I contacted Winegard they apologized and said that they were sorry about the signal changes. What they did offer was to discount the SK 10000. They had a new unit for $959.95 (the best price I found was $1,295.00 plus SH&H). It came with a 2 year warranty (2 year parts and 1 year labor). They also offered and Remanufactured unit for $799.00 with a 1 year warranty on parts and labor. I purchased the Reman. and the unit I received had to have been a brand new unit. I did the install myself and and it works flawlessly.

Just a side note, I have had no problem getting through to Winegard, never had more than a few minutes wait.

Herman 

On 7/11/2017 at 11:11 AM, brocki said:

No, it does not have a NEW warranty.  The warranty is from the ORIGINAL date of purchase.  So that means I will have a 3 week parts and labor warranty after I get the new (rebuilt) antennae installed.  I just got this message back from Winegard this AM.  That is the way most warranties are handled but I admit that given the cost of the device, I am disappointed.

I can't say that I would feel the same way.  If any product failed a month or so before the 2 year warranty ended and the company replaced the unit as promised I would be pretty happy.

Ran into the same situation and I believe it is a normal policy of companies.  Had problems with an item, got it replaced, and warranty only good until expiration of original warranty.  Happens all the time.  I really can understand why.  There are persons in this world that would purposefully stop something from working just before a warranty expired to get a new one. Then figure if the new one came with another two year warranty and they purposefully damaged the one they had to get a new one.  Companies would go broke.

Not everyone is as nice as you and I, and I'm not really sure about me!